94 Explorer Manual Transmission slipping

DABASSMECHANIC
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
  • 150 MILES
Got a Strange problem I can't figure out, I've got a 94 explorer 4x4 with the manual transmission and it intermittently stops moving the vehicle forward, Like the gear is just disengaged I just bled the Slave Cylinder with no change the transmission is full of fresh oil was told by a trans guy to use sae 5w 30 Oil instead of transmission fluid which could be an issue? But the weird part is that if I put the truck in 4x4 low it drives fine and without the front wheels pulling since the Front Drive shaft is removed so I'm thinking it could be the hydraulic pump in the transmission but don't know how to test it or if this trans is going out, On a side note I just put this trans on 3 weeks ago it has 83k on it, Any help would be appreciated
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 12:27 AM

OK Feller,

I'm a JEEP CJ Kinda Guy. I know them well. Yours, not so well

Step-Daughter has a '96 Exploder, we just put all 3, O2 sensors on. Finished an hour ago

You did say Manual.I will look in her Chilton's Manual (her's is Automatic 4X4). You said Pump. In a manual tranny.I'll look for that too.I will also look for correct type fluid too.

You do not by chance have your throw-out bearing arm OVER EXTENDED?

What I sorta mean is there no slack in your clutch pedal. And its sorta like you are "RIDING" the pedal constantly with your foot. Except you are doing it MECHANICALLY with a over adjusted throw out bearing or its linkage. And the clutch disc is slipping because the pressure plate is not fully engaged?

Your turn. Looking for the book now!

The Medic
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 1:04 AM
DABASSMECHANIC
Yeah it's a Mazda 5speed manual tranny Leave it to an exploder to have a mazda trans, But No clutch pressure problems Drives and shifts great when it's working right, But Had a thought a few min ago about a possible problem that I'll test tomorrow, the trans that I just put in is from a 95 Explorer In Theory Supposed to be identical to the 94 but not so much very close tho the Shift Guide that the shifter goes into on the top of the tranny, was 1/2 inches taller then the 94 which wouldn't have ever been noticed if I would have gotten the 95 shift lever with the trans but I didn't so Had to use the 94 shifter which because of the height difference would pull up and out of the shifter slide took hours to figure out the problem so I swapped the shifter guides reusing the one off my 94 transmission and Now I'm thinking it may be causing the issue so I'm gonna try and find a 95 Shifter tomorrow since it has a longer input shaft. Of course Could still be the Hydraulic pump inside the trans, it does have one to run the internal Clutch disks between the gear for syncing rpms between shifts but That'll be the last thing I check since it requires pulling the tranny off and frankly I'm still sore from putting it on a few weeks ago = I'll experiment tomorrow if any salvage yards are open on pres. Day Thanks for the reply and ford calls for Mercon3 atf but Mazda calls for sae 5 30 oil gotta love Car companies who share parts and cant keep there stories straight, Tho if shifter guide swap doesn't affect anything I'm gonna do a drain and refill and can do a decent gear inspection when I do the guide swap. I've got a haynes manual in front of me it definitely doesn't cover this Lol
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 1:42 AM
Really sounds like I was no assistance, You seem to have it under control----But I do have the Daughters 2" Thick Chilton Manual here, if you want me to look something up for you.

Just respond here again, I will get an Email Notification.I do not mind helping if it's within my capabilities.

Good Luck

The Medic
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 3:10 AM
DABASSMECHANIC
I appreciate any input From anyone Because I'm in the dark this is such an odd ball situation it's a little over my head, Still Can't figure why it drives in 4x4 great with only rear wheel's pushing But not in 2wd I know so little about how a transfer case really works maybe forces it into a slightly different gear ratio? No clue But I may be over thinking it. Can only be 3 things I can think of this New used trans is going out? 2. The shift guide I put on it isn't aligned perfectly with the gears 3. Well was thinking the slave cylinder but I can't imagine how that would interact with the 4x4 transfer case to make it drive fine in 4x4 low range, and like I said I know little about the internals might even be wrong about the hydraulic pump in the trans that's just what was told me so still call me baffled Anything you stumble on would be great but gonna be hit and miss unless someone has had this experience think my odds aren't looking good tho if I get a fix I'll post it if you don't find anything, tho if you know some GREAT ford guys ask em if besides the height dif in the shifter guide between 94 and 95 are they interchangeable course they would have to know the gear tolerance meaning the spacing between gears Don't know what else to call it and that relation to the shifter guide because besides the height difference I couldn't see a difference in positioning in those U shaped gear changing guides no clue what they are called Thanks again
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 4:42 AM
SORRY I WASN'T MUCH HELP TO YOU, I WAS STILL CURIOUS TO WHAT YOU DID COME UP WITH?

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 6:26 AM
DABASSMECHANIC
Sorry didn't post earlier was busy fixing odds and ends on same truck, the prob was as my trans specialist told me was the transfer case I tore mine apart and the upper shift fork was worn out letting it hang in between the 2 and 4wd gears which is why it worked on 4x4 low but nothing else Gonna put a video of the transfer case tear down on youtube very easy teardown tho easier just to buy a low mileage replacement I got a 89K miles case for 110$ the shift fork only available from ford since salvage yards don't stock em woulda been 60$ and they don't keep em because they are a MAJOR prob in transfer cases in 91-97 explorers and later. I'll post the link to the video after I post it. Seems mine had very little fluid in it prob leading cause for the wear on the fork, will post video in a couple days with the link here
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 8:27 AM
GLAD TO HEAR IT'S FIGGERED OUT! SAD IT MESSED YOU UP WITH TIME AND MATERIAL. I WILL CHECK OUT YOUR VIDEO, LINKS DO NOT WORK HERE ANYMORE, BUT IF YOU GO THRU THE MOTIONS, I CAN COPY AND PASTE THE INFO ONTO A NEW TAB AND STILL GET THERE. I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH MY JEEP T-150 TRANSMISSION (CAST IRON 3 SPD, '76-'79), MAYBE YOU COULD GIVE ME AN IDEA AS TO WHAT MIGHT BE GOING ON) I JUST REBUILT IT LESS THAN 500 MILES AGO. I REPLACED EVERYTHING INTERNALLY WITH ALL NEW PARTS, AND BOTH SHIFT FORKS. WHAT IT'S A DOIN' IS WHEN I SHIFT INTO 2ND, I GET RATTLE IN THE STICK, OR KINDA A GEARY SOUND--IT GOES IN FINE! IT SOUNDS LIKE STUFF IS STILL TURNING AS IT'S GOING IN. THIRD DROPS IN PERFECT WHEN I PULL IT BACK INTO IT. NOW IF I DOWN SHIFT DOWN INTO 2ND, SAME THING, NOISE AND IT WILL NOT DROP IN UNTIL I GET DOWN TO MAYBE 25-30 MPH. I'M NO TRANNY EXPERT, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE BLOCKING RING FOR 2ND IS NOT SLOWING THINGS DOWN.I ALSO SUSPECTED THAT MY NEW FORKS WERE MAYBE MOLDED OR MADE SLIGHTLY BENT. I DID FILE 2ND AND 3RD FORK WITH A FILE IN THE BEGINNING (ACROSS BOTH TINES, AS IT WOULD NOT GO INTO THE SYNC GROVE WHEN I INITIALLY INSTALLED THE SHIFT TOWER) RECENT INSPECTION SHOWED A LITTLE MORE SYNC WEAR AT THE BOTTOMS OF THE TINES THAN AT THE TOP. MY THOUGHTS WERE THAT MAYBE THE SYNC WAS NOT BEING PUSHED "SQUARELY" ONTO 2ND. I DID TAKE PICS OF THE ENTIRE REBUILD AS I DID IT. I SHOWED THEM TO A TRANNY MAN I KNOW, HE SAID EVERYTHING LOOKED RIGHT, EVEN MADE ME FEEL GOOD THAT IN THAT IF I HAD LET THE MAINSHAFT AND INPUT SHAFT SLIP TOO FAR APART AND HAD DROPPED THOSE NEEDLE BEARINGS OUT. I DID WIRE THE OUTPUT ADAPTER TO THE TRANNY WHEN I INSTALLED THE TRANNY. LEARNED MY LESSON THE LAST TIME I DID THIS (6 YEARS AGO), AND I REALIZED IT SLIPPED BACK AND HAD TO START OVER! HE SAID IT WOULD BE CONSTANTLY MAKING A RACKET AND BE HOWLING, HAD ANY OF THESE NEEDLES FELL OUT. IF YOU CLICK ON ME AND SEND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN "MESSAGES" (PRIVATE THERE) I CAN SEND YOU A WALMART ALBUM, OF THE TRANNY----ALSO MY TRANSFER CASE FAILURE TOO! ANY IDEAS AS TO MY ISSUE?--FORGOT TO MENTION I ALSO THOUGHT MAYBE 2ND AND 3RD BLOCKING RINGS MAY HAVE GOTTEN REVERSED--WITH MORE INVESTIGATION, THEY SEEM TO BE THE EXACT SAME PART NUMBER, SO I DO NOT THINK THAT WOULD MATTER, SAME FOR THE SYNCHRONIZER SLEEVE, THE END WITH LINES SCRIBED IN, GOES REARWARD. IT LOOKS AS IF, I HAD INSTALLED THE SHAFT PART, OF THE SYNC IN BACKWARDS, IT WOULD NOT EVEN GO TOGETHER AND FIT IN THE CASE (JUST MY OBSERVATION, I COULD BE WRONG). I HAVE NOT TORN IT BACK DOWN, I'M JUST FITTING THE OLD PARTS TOGETHER TO SEE WHAT IS OR IS NOT POSSIBLE. WELL. THE MEDIC
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 2:26 PM
DABASSMECHANIC
That is a tricky sounding prob just like mine was, The closest I've worked on is my 73 CJ5 and no clue what trans it has tho it's a 3sp Best first check assuming it happens in 2wd is remove the shift guide which should be a 20 min job if it's like my CJ to find out if what it is, Tho once you have the shift guide off and I'd recommend draining most of the fluid since it sloshes Massively inside and outside with the top off(if you need any description of it let me know but since you rebuilt yours you should be ok =)" ) Leave enough to Lubricate like 1/8 inch wont be so messy in your cabin, you can shift the gears manually with the For lack of a better term shift rings just experiment with your removed shift guide cap to figure out what gear to put it in and see what actual sounds it's making in the tranny Besides Sloshing which will be loud. But basically what your checking for is if your fully seated on a gear does it make the same noise, On first thought I'd think you'd be on the gear your selecting and on the synchronizer at the same time could make a tranny growl or rattle and wear out your syncro's tho would take a while, Obviously you can't shift in this condition but you can run 1st, Stop Shift to 2nd test and even tho Low geared like my jeep taking off in 3rd would be iffy at best but maybe? I'd say put it in Low range But that could complicate things but if your always in 2wd then it's worth a try Just focus on the Noise each gear makes Driving Little bits at a time since you have to have low fluid to test this way, And It's an easy way to inspect your Gear wear and syncro teeth tho I have no clue how to check those, And this is all my speculation It's how I'd check it with the Slight knowledge I have from working on mine But I'll ask my trans guy tomorrow if I get time I'm assuming you used a micrometer to check gear spacing I hear it has to be VERY precise with your Shift guide off you might have room to check spacing since a 3sp just to be sure alignment is right If I woulda thought of this technique I coulda ruled out the tranny on day 1 but yours is a much different prob, But I figure if you can watch your trans working in real time could Nail the prob or at least rule out Issues, Before I post this I'll post a pic of my shift rail guide to give you an idea of manually shifting gears. Or not thought back to my 73 won't even be close but the shift ring guides should be the same or similar so to figure out what ring to move where for 1'st - 3rd flip your removed shifter guide over and just experiment moving the shift guides around on the top pay attention to what the Neutral position is or reinstalling is a Bit@# take a pic with your phone or cam if there is any chance you'll forget, Ok Rambled on long enough and I don't know how to post a private feed for e-mail Here Ohh Take a pic of the trans gear rings in neutral too before experimenting Cuz same issue the ring and shift arms have to line up, Let me know what ya figure Hope first hand viewing helps or may have another thought after I talk to my trans guy Good Luck, Your thoughts could be dead on too Cuz Not being a trans Virgin doesn't mean I'm good at em LOL
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 5:50 AM
DABASSMECHANIC
If you try this odd method of diagnosing remember it's like flying the shift forks are reversed so 1st gear is the shift mechanism on the right of the shift guide since you move the shifter to the left meaning the shifter moves left so the input shaft moves to the right Hope that makes sense was an issue I had to learn first hand
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 6:00 AM