Installing ignition toggle and push button starter

JTTRUNK
  • 1994 FORD ESCORT
Hey guys! I have a 94 escort 1.9L lx wagon manual trans. My ignition lock cylinder broke and I'm going to install toggle switch and push start button. The problem I face is the wiring, on the ignition switch there is 2 lrg black constant 12v (one connector) and 4 wires (smaller gauge then the 2 black) on a different connector, the colors are B/R, BL, B/W and B/DBL. I believe the B/DBL is to the stater solenoid. I plan on leaving the ignition switch in the RUN position and installing toggle(s) for ACC/RUN and a momentary push button for the STARTER.

Can one of you please explain which wires to connect to toggle(s)? The 2 black 12v constant are confusing me. Do I need 2 toggles, or a 3 pole toggle?
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 6:03 PM

You need a push button in between one big black wire and the black/dark blue to engage the starter.

You will need on off on toggle for the power wires for the ign1, ign2 and accessory.

Check out the diagrams below by clicking on them

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
-1
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 6:22 PM
JTTRUNK
I'm planning on keeping the ignition switch in the run position do I still need to jumper the clutch switch? And what is the point of the 2 constant 12v black wires. I just dropped $1500.00 on suspension and brake parts, can't afford to mess up my engine or anything else. Would it be safer to install 3 pole toggle so I can splice into both black constants?
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 6:42 PM
Yes you can leave the ignition switch int he on position you will be fine.
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 7:44 PM
JTTRUNK
Under $20.00 for toggle and push start versus $110.00 for a new lock cylinder (no pick and pull or junk yard have a 91-96 escort in my area), is a huge deal to me at this point ive dropped $1500.00 on this car in the last 2 wks and the last thing I need to do is pull my steering wheel & multi-switches and then beat on my steering column to release the shear bolts that hold the lock cylinder to the steering column and hope I dont mess anything up as I do it. Thanks for the help I love this site
Tuesday, June 21st, 2011 AT 2:04 AM