I think I might have some kind of transmission problem?

JD101
  • 1994 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
I had just bought this car and after about 2 days I noticed when the car needs to down shift to climb a hill it will slip out of gear and the engine will race if I let off the gas pedal it will go into gear.I have also noticed when the car is warmed up and driving in traffic, when I slow down to about 18-24mph. Or slow into a turn and normally apply the accelerator the whole car will vibrate and shake really bad. I also have checked the fluid level and noticed that it was overfull by a pint or so, the fluid did not smell burt and there is no check engine light on. Should I drain the fluid and repalce the filter or could it be more serious? I really like this car but not enough to put a transmisssion in it.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 11:25 PM

MHPAUTOS
I would still get a scan done as the transmission system will not always set a light with a fault, that is if this transmission supports OBD11 technology, I would regardless get a trans tech to test drive and give you a report on the operation of the system, there is a problem there, that needs looking at and do it soon as you may be doing more damage driving with this fault.
Saturday, September 24th, 2011 AT 2:02 AM
WAY2OLD
This car does not have the OBD II systyem. It has the EEC IV so the diagnosis by code is a lot harder to accomplish. Other than that I agree with the suggestion by mhpautos.
Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 7:42 PM
JD101
Thanxs for the info, I already had the vehicle road tested by a transmission shop. The tech claimed he could not find a serious problem at the time and recomened a trans scan. The AODE transmission is know for torqe converter vibration from what I read on several web sites is this true? And I really don, t feel like spending $100-$200 for a scan done. There must be a obd 1 scanner that can obtain trans. Codes for fords.
Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 9:11 PM
RACEFAN966
I would do a trans service, this means change the fluid and filter and add a bottle of lube guard to it. Yes the AODE has some shutter problems which the fresh fluid and lube guard should help with.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 4:32 AM