94 p/u 360 dies like a kill switch

GSCOTT1107
  • 1994 DODGE RAM
1994 dodge 1500 4x4 360, 250k miles- Truck shuts off after about 30 min. Fuel pump hums when u turn the key. New relay. Has fuel pressuer but no spark. New coil. After it sits 30 mins. It starts. Then after a little bit will quit like I hit a kill switch.
Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 AT 11:18 PM

Check and test ASD relay
Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 AT 11:56 PM
GSCOTT1107
If that means Automatic Shutdown Relay, replaced it with another relay with no luck.
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 12:11 AM
GSCOTT1107
What else could it be?
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 12:42 AM
BLAKE35
You might replace the crankshaft position sensor
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 1:12 AM
GSCOTT1107
Does it even have one? Could it be the pick up plate?
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 1:20 AM
It has a crankshaft position sensor-also do below

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 2:00 AM
GSCOTT1107
Thank you razmataz. So far I know its not a fuel problem. When it quits I immediatly checked for fuel pressure at was good. Its a spark issue. I replaced the relays, the pickup coil and cam sensor ( both 1 unit) cap and rotor. The only thing left I think is the crankshaft sensor which looks like a nightmare to get to like the distributer was. There are no coil packs that I can find
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 8:32 PM
If it has a cap and rotor is doesn't have a coil pack/s

Crankshaft Position Sensor Location

REMOVAL

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove spark plug cable loom at right rear valve cover.
Disconnect two hoses at EGR valve. Note position of hoses before disconnecting.
Disconnect electrical connector and hoses at EGR transducer. Note position of hoses before disconnecting.
NOTE: DO NOT pull on sensor electrical lead.

Remove 2 EGR valve mounting bolts and remove valve.
Disconnect electrical connector at oil pressure sending unit.
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Removal/Installation

Using special tool # C-4597 or equivalent remove oil pressure sending unit.
Loosen EGR tube mounting nut at the intake manifold. Remove EGR tube mounting bolts at the exhaust manifold and remove EGR tube.
Disconnect crankshaft position sensor electrical connector.
Remove crankshaft position sensor mounting bolts and remove sensor.
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 9:11 PM
GSCOTT1107
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 10:06 PM
Keep me posted, I'll be waiting for your return if further assistance needed
Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 AT 11:53 PM
RGULLETT
Have you figured this out yet? I'm having the same problem. About 4 months ago my truck started stalling when you step on the gas pedal. I acted like it was out of gas. I took it to the shop and they replaced the fuel pump. Since then it has got worse. It now stalls frequently. It will stall when stepping on the gas pedal or just sitting at idle. Most of the time it will start back up after it has cooled off but not always. At least it is getting easier to troubleshoot. I have finally found that when it does not start, I do not have any spark. I have not measured the fuel pressure but have found that there is fuel in the rail when I momentarily push the shrader valve on the fuel rail. I usually measure 14.4v volts but have measured lower voltage while cranking the starter. I do not have a check engine light. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, cam shaft position sensor, coil, automatic shutdown relay, fuel pump relay and computer. My truck is a 95 1500 4x4 5.9, auto with 151k miles.
Sunday, April 10th, 2011 AT 4:17 AM