1994 Chevrolet Silverado Engine Noise

TWARNER42
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
So I have a 1994 Chevy K1500 that has been a great truck but is now having some issues that worry me. It recently got cold here in Nevada and since then my truck has been idling really rough and has lost a good bit of power. Along with that it now ticks really loud when under a load. It does it around 40-50mph at about 2,000 rpm but never when in park or neutral no matter how much I rev it. I just did an oil change on it and followed my mechanics advice on using a heavier weight oil (10W-30) as opposed to the usual 5W-30 that the oil cap says. I thought it was the valves ticking but everything I've read suggests that if that was the cause it would be constant and not just when I'm driving. The pattern seems to stay exactly in line with the rpms though so I'm at a loss. Anybody have an idea of what it could be and how much it's going to cost? Thank you.
Tuesday, November 24th, 2015 AT 8:54 AM

Pull valve covers off and rev up to about 2000 rpm check for a bent/broken pushrod or lifter. See if all vavles are working correctly all going down about same amount at idle. Migh tbe a vavle guide as well with to much play in it.
Tuesday, November 24th, 2015 AT 9:44 AM
TWARNER42
Thank you. I'll try that and see what they look like. Could it possibly be the spark plugs? I pulled one just a little while ago and they looked pretty black.
Tuesday, November 24th, 2015 AT 11:02 AM
It could be but if black it may be rich or valve seals leaking hence the valve guides worn
Tuesday, November 24th, 2015 AT 12:33 PM
TWARNER42
I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Also, did an oil change with a new filter and now it's gotten worse. I've had a dramatic loss in oil pressure while driving and idling. So I parked it and haven't driven since. But when I first started the truck the oil pressure is at about 50-60 psi, then once I started driving and it warmed up it dropped down to about 10-15 when idling and sat at about 30 while driving. The ticking was still no where to be found in park or neutral and still only did it at around 2,000 rpm. The truck runs really rough now too. It feels like it's bogged down idling and wants to die and accelerates very slowly and cruises rough as well. I've pretty much exhausted my abilities as an amateur and I'm sure it's something internal at this point due to the change in oil pressure. It's also puffing little bits of blue smoke out of the exhaust when it idles. Thank you for all your help this far also. Any other advice would be much appreciated.
Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 AT 11:18 PM
Oil pressure is normal check your compression
Thursday, November 26th, 2015 AT 5:14 AM