How many fusible lnks should I have to the solenoid?

TRISHLYNN77
  • 1994 CHEVROLET LUMINA
I have two wires at the solenoid with fusible links, one for the alternator, and one for the ignition wire. I have re wired this At least 12 times, and I have the same problem, the alternator wire fries at the fusible link. Can I take the fusible link out at the ignition wire?
Saturday, February 25th, 2012 AT 7:38 PM

You have a direct short on the alternator wire-disconnect it at the solenoid and check the wire to ground any continuity its shorted out-
Saturday, February 25th, 2012 AT 7:43 PM
Maybe the wire needs to be replaced? As an example, a 14 gage fusible link should protect a 10 gage or heavier wire. Use a heavier gage wire or smaller fusible link. How much voltage is the alternator putting out?
Saturday, February 25th, 2012 AT 7:54 PM
Hello Ras, I didn't see you. Have a good day. It was my thinking the fusible link should have blown before it fried the wiring. Maybe I misunderstood?
Saturday, February 25th, 2012 AT 7:56 PM
Should have blown, the fusible link is 4X smaller than the wire it protects

Nice seeing you again-You have good one too-
Saturday, February 25th, 2012 AT 8:48 PM
TRISHLYNN77
Thanks guys, im using a 12 gauge fusible link for the 10 gauge alt wire. Alternator is putting out 14.5 within normal range. Thats what I am going to do today is just replace the whole wire through the harness back down to the solenoid. And if this doesnt help and I have the same problem two days from now, what else should I check?
Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 3:00 PM
TRISHLYNN77
So down at the solenoid I have so many wires, the alternator wire and the ignition wire both are on a fusible link, do I need both fusible links? And shouldn't there be a ground specifically from the alternator? There are three wires from the alt, however, they are all red and none of them are grounded?
Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 3:04 PM
I'd use a 14 gage fusible link to protect the 10 gage wire. I'd leave the factory wiring as is. On some makes and models, the negative battery cable goes to the alternator mounting bracket.
Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 4:51 PM
TRISHLYNN77
Thanks, I will use the 14g. The factory wiring is gone, Im working with this 94 chevy lumina APV 3800 series engine, and whomever owned her before me tore her apart, no ground for the motor or tranny to firewall. I have managed to make her run for the past two years but like I said having problems with the alt wire. Factory wiring on her has no ground off the alternator in the schematics. Should I add one from the mounting bracket to firewall?
Monday, February 27th, 2012 AT 2:48 AM
If the engine wasn't grounded, the starter wouldn't work. The starter grounds through the housing and so does the alternator.
Monday, February 27th, 2012 AT 4:55 PM