Radiator drain plug

BDERBY
  • 1994 CHEVROLET BLAZER
The radiator drain plug in my 1994 chevy s10 blazer keeps blowing out. We have replaced it 3 times in the last 3 months. The last time being only a week ago. All hoses have been checked and no blocks found. The thermostat is not showing any signs of over heating. What is causing this issue?
Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 11:43 PM

WRENCHTECH
It's pretty simple. The radiator is stripped where the plug goes and you need to replace the radiator.
Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 11:50 PM
BDERBY
The type of plug it takes is an insert the just pops in and then the plug screws into that. We have replaced the plug and insert 3 times now but the threads on the plug keep stripping out. This is a plastic insert and plug.
Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 11:56 PM
WRENCHTECH
And that is different from what I said? It's stripped and needs a new radiator.
Saturday, May 7th, 2011 AT 12:00 AM
TODD CUNNINGHAM
I have a 1994 Chevy s10 blazer too. Changed the coolant 1 1/2 years ago. Using only my fingers I tightened the drain plug and it started to tighten and then got loose so I didn't tighten it as hard and it seemed to hold. A year later I was loosing antifreeze. Took it to my mechanic and watched him put a pressure tester on it and all the antifreeze blew out so he thought the end tank was cracked. He changed the radiator and said it was only the drain plug. I had forgotten about my previously problem until then. Well now three months later and I am loosing antifreeze again. Couldn't find a leak until I looked at the drain plug and the little tube connection was dripping. Using only my fingers turned 1/4 turn and then to make sure it was tight turned a little more (wasn't straining to tighten) and it too stripped out! Is this a common problem?
Saturday, September 16th, 2017 AT 10:52 AM
WRENCHTECH
It has a rubber seal. It doesn't need to be over tightened like that. Expensive lesson. New radiator
Saturday, September 16th, 2017 AT 11:32 AM