Help

SHERRYMCLEAN3
  • 1994 BUICK LESABRE
Have a 1994 buick lesabre.I was having problems with power so I replaced the coil packs and spark plugs yesterday and it ran like a charm all day today. Now it is cutting out and shutting off. I let it sit for about an hour and then drove home (about 8 miles) about a mile from home and started shutting off again.
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 3:05 AM

Does it immediately start up when it shuts off?
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 3:10 AM
SHERRYMCLEAN3
Sometimes it does, sometimes it takes a few tries
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 3:18 AM
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 3:31 AM
SHERRYMCLEAN3
Thank you, I will have to try these tomorrow, I dont have a helper tonight
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 3:55 AM
SHERRYMCLEAN3
Wondering if it could possibly be the ignition control module? Car will not start at all now, replaced ignition control module last month with one off of a wrecked car.
+1
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 AT 4:36 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Yes, it very well could be a control module. Check to see if the ground signal is being received by the coil packs. If no, see if the signal is being generated by the control module.
Saturday, August 13th, 2011 AT 9:57 PM
SHERRYMCLEAN3
Ok, I have replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, spark plugs, wires, throttle position sensor, and all 3 coil packs. It runs great for about 30 minutes and then it starts chugging and doesnt want to go. Now it wont start at all. How do I test the control module? None of the parts stores in town can test it.
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 3:21 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
When the problem occurs, find the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and check their output using a multimeter. Hook up the meter and then crank the engine over to see if there is any voltage on the output. This will be the yellow wire and the light blue wire. If there is no output, check the grey and red wire and the white and black wire for power.
The recommendation to check for presence and quality of the spark also stands. No spark could mean a defective ignition control module.
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 5:14 AM