My 1993 Toyota Pickup has trouble starting

GAB56
  • 1993 TOYOTA PICKUP

My 1993 toyota pickup has trouble starting. It takes 3-4 cranks before it fully starts. I have replaced multiple parts, yet it has done nothing. What do you think it is?

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 5:09 PM

KHLOW2008

What are the multiple parts you have replaced?

Was the fuel pressure tested?

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 9:34 PM
GAB56

I have replaced the alternator, distributor, all new plugs/ wires, and also the starter. I am not entirely sure about the fuel pressure. But this has been doing this the entire time i've owned it. Someone was saying to check the starter relay?

Friday, February 1st, 2013 AT 1:38 AM
KHLOW2008

If the starter cranks, there is nothing wrong with its circuit.

Usually it is the fuel pressure that causes such symptoms. Try cycling the ignition switch ON and OFF 2 or 3 times and test if it is easier to start.

Friday, February 1st, 2013 AT 4:16 PM
GAB56

What about the ignition relay? Because the cycling of the switch is not doing anything at all. This has had me stumped for 2 years now. No mechanics seem to know the problem either.

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 AT 12:56 AM
KHLOW2008

Start with a check on the fuel pressure and power supply to the fuel pump. Ensure the fuel pump is working with sufficient pressure.

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 12:12 PM
GAB56

But when it starts up, it is perfectly fine. It will fire right up and stay running. I just asked my dad about the fuel pump though and said that we have not looked at that yet

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 3:35 PM
KHLOW2008

A fuel pump can fail intermittently and fuel pressure can drop in lines after engine is stopped. Thie would require the fuel pressure to build up.

Fuel pressure has to be tested after vehicle is left idle for extended periods, meaning you need to install the pressure gauge, start engine. Stop it and leave it for exended periods to check. Upon initial ignition on, check if the fuel pump is priming.

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 4:21 PM
GAB56

So what your telling me, is that I should install this gauge and take a look at the fuel pump/ pressure? How much does this usually run for just parts, considering I could do it myself.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:49 AM
KHLOW2008

You need to check the parts prices locally as they can vary according to location.
Yes, you definitely need to test the fuel prtessure to know if it is within range.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 3:51 PM
GAB56

Awesome. Well ill let you know what happens after I do that. Because just this morning, it took over 20 cranks to get it going. Then after my class, it only took one turn. Sound like the fuel pressure?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 4:44 PM