1993 Oldsmobile Ciera engine stalling

BOBJUL58
  • 1993 OLDSMOBILE CIERA
My vehicle stalls while i'm driving, and I have to wait, before it will start again, not very often approximately 4 times within the last month, one time I turned it off, went shopping, and it would not start, I left it for a few hrs, went back and it started right up, I took it to a mechanic, and he's saying that it could be the torque conveter, or the torque converter solenoid.
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 AT 10:22 AM

First, find a new mechanic. The torque converter or its solenoid won't stop the car from starting.

My first guess is you have a cracked crank sensor. What I have seen over the years is that the sensor will start the engine and run until it gets hot. Once hot, the plastic on the sensor expands and the internal connection is lost. Thus, the engine dies.

Now, to properly check it, you would need a scanner to see if there is a crank signal to the ECM when the engine won't start. There are two other choices to check it. One, see if there is spark to the plugs when it won't start. If there IS, then there is a fuel delivery issue; a bad fuel pump could cause this. If there is no spark to ANY of the plugs, the crank sensor is my first suspect. If there is spark to some of the plugs and not others, the digital ignition control unit (DIC), which is what your coil packs mount to, is most likely the problem.

I hope this helps. If you are confused or need other help, let me know.

Friday, October 3rd, 2014 AT 10:47 AM
BOBJUL58
Thank you very much for your quick response, and yes, your reply did help, his diagnosis didn't sound correct to me
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 AT 1:06 PM
Glad it helped. Let me know if you have other questions or need an opinion. Also, if you could, let me know what is found as the problem.
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 AT 5:21 PM
BOBJUL58
Yes, I will keep you in mind when and if I need some other advice or have any further questions, and I will report whatever the problem is. Definetely getting another mechanic. Lol
Saturday, October 4th, 2014 AT 5:41 AM