1993 Ford Tempo Brake light problems

CGS509
  • 1993 FORD TEMPO
All lights come on when the light switch is turned on except the third brake light. Also when the brake is pressed the brake lights do not brighten. I have checked all bulbs and every fuse in the fuse box and all are good. I have also replaced the brake light switch. What else can I try. The brake lights still burn the same when I press on the brake?
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 6:50 PM

Have you checked to see if there is power to the brake light switch?
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 7:39 PM
CGS509
No, I have not. The car has sat for about 8 months and I am trying just now to put it back on the road. I believe everything was working when it was parked.
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 7:53 PM
Check to see if there is power to the switch. It could be a fuse.
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 7:54 PM
CGS509
Do you mean a fuse in the fuse box or possibly a in-line fusible link?
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 7:57 PM
There should always be power to the brake light switch. When you depress the brake pedal, you close the circuit and send power to the brake lights. Check to see if there is power to the switch itself.

Let me know what you find.
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 7:59 PM
CADIEMAN
Use a test light to check for voltage at the brake light fuse. Then check for power at the brake light switch. When u push the brake pedal power should come out the other wire and it gos to the rear end. Start here
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 8:02 PM
CGS509
OK, and Thank You!
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 8:02 PM
CGS509
Ok, I will do that tomorrow. Thank You!
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 8:08 PM
CGS509
To Jacobandnicholas and cadieman Thank you both for your input and I am sorry it has taken me so long to answer.
The lights are fixed now. The problem was a fuse as suggested, which just proves that just looking at a fuse is not always the best thing to do. I was finally tipped off due to realizing that the emergency lights did not work either. I had not mentioned this previously. Then reading through my manual I discovered they are tied into the brake lights. I decided just to replace all fuses and had forgot that I had left the emergency switch on so when that fuse was replaced the problem was fixed. Once again Thank all of you for your help.

Cgs509
Sunday, October 13th, 2013 AT 6:38 PM
CADIEMAN
OK
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 3:42 PM