SO RECENTLY MY CAR HAS BEEN LETTING OFF A RUBBER...

1993 Ford Taurus

Lienheart

October, 27, 2012 AT 9:13 AM

So recently my car has been letting off a rubber burn smell on the passenger side of the car. The smoke is a grey/blue wispy smoke and appears after just a few minuets of idling the car. I'm already aware that the car needs a new 02 sensor (check engine light revealed that problem.) Serpentine belt is still brand new along with all new pulleys so the belt can't be the problem (also the belt is still in fine condition, no sign of burning could be found.) Seems like the smoke is originating from the back or underneath of the engine. Just wanted to get a couple of ideas of what the problem could be, all the fluids check out and I can't find the hot spot when looking down into the engine from the burning rubber.

caradiodoc

October, 27, 2012 AT 9:21 AM

One thing we run into quite often is something fell onto the hot exhaust system. In particular wiring harnesses like to break free from their plastic clips and droop down until they rest on something. That is also a common cause of an oxygen sensor fault code. The sensor itself is only the cause of a fault code about half of the time. Wiring problems cause the other half of the problems.