SOUND FROM UNDER HOOD

1993 Ford Ranger

ford12345

January, 18, 2014 AT 4:47 AM

LAST NIGHT WHEN I PARK THE VEHICLE AND SHUT THE ENGINE OFF I HEARD AND COULD "FEEL" A THUMPING SOUND THAT I COULD FEEL IN THE DRIVERS SEAT AS WELL AS HEAR IT. IT WENT LIKE THIS THUMP THUMP. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. THIS WENT ON FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS. BY THE TIME I GOT OUT AND HAD THE HOOD UP IT STOPPED. NOT SURE IF IT'S CAUSED BY ANY PARTICULAR PART. IT HAS ALSO DONE THIS WHEN I DRIVE AT SLOW TO TO MODERATE SPEEDS. 30 TO 40 MPH. ANOTHER DETAIL IS IT ONLY HAPPENS EVERY FEW WEEKS OF DRIVING IT, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN EVERY DAY OR EVERY WEEK. TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE AIR IS BEING RELEASED BY SOMETHING LIKE POPPING CORN VERY SLOWLY.

hmac300

January, 18, 2014 AT 6:29 AM

It was probably engine run on from idling to fast then shutting car off sometimes that happens when you come in to driveways and shut off engine. Nothing to worry about if it continues have a local guy look at it.

ford12345

January, 18, 2014 AT 9:42 AM

IF IT IS ENGINE RUN ON THEN WHY DO I HEAR THE EXACT SAME THING WHEN I AM DRIVING THE VEHICLE ON THE ROAD?

hmac300

January, 18, 2014 AT 9:48 AM

Didn't read it fully that happens. Check for a broken motor mount or trans mount it may be the engine rocking when torque is applied to move the truck or when it's shut off. To check hold foot on brake and put in drive, give some fuel and if motor lifts way up themount on left side is broken do the same for reverse, do this where there are no other vehicles/people around incase something happens. If the motor lifts more than an inch or so the mount on that side is broken for trans mount see if trans can be lifted at rear while still in vehicle.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus