1993 FORD RANGER SOUND FROM UNDER HOOD

• ford12345
  • 1993 Ford Ranger
  • automatic

LAST NIGHT WHEN I PARK THE VEHICLE AND SHUT THE ENGINE OFF I HEARD AND COULD "FEEL" A THUMPING SOUND THAT I COULD FEEL IN THE DRIVERS SEAT AS WELL AS HEAR IT. IT WENT LIKE THIS THUMP THUMP. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. THIS WENT ON FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS. BY THE TIME I GOT OUT AND HAD THE HOOD UP IT STOPPED. NOT SURE IF IT'S CAUSED BY ANY PARTICULAR PART. IT HAS ALSO DONE THIS WHEN I DRIVE AT SLOW TO TO MODERATE SPEEDS. 30 TO 40 MPH. ANOTHER DETAIL IS IT ONLY HAPPENS EVERY FEW WEEKS OF DRIVING IT, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN EVERY DAY OR EVERY WEEK. TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE AIR IS BEING RELEASED BY SOMETHING LIKE POPPING CORN VERY SLOWLY.

Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 4:47 AM

• hmac300

It was probably engine run on from idling to fast then shutting car off sometimes that happens when you come in to driveways and shut off engine. Nothing to worry about if it continues have a local guy look at it.

Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 6:29 AM
  • ford12345

IF IT IS ENGINE RUN ON THEN WHY DO I HEAR THE EXACT SAME THING WHEN I AM DRIVING THE VEHICLE ON THE ROAD?

Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 9:42 AM
  • hmac300

Didn't read it fully that happens. Check for a broken motor mount or trans mount it may be the engine rocking when torque is applied to move the truck or when it's shut off. To check hold foot on brake and put in drive, give some fuel and if motor lifts way up themount on left side is broken do the same for reverse, do this where there are no other vehicles/people around incase something happens. If the motor lifts more than an inch or so the mount on that side is broken for trans mount see if trans can be lifted at rear while still in vehicle.

Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 9:48 AM