1993 Ford Ranger four wheel drive

COASTNSEA
  • 1993 FORD RANGER
I have a push button on my dash for the 4 wheel drive. It doesnt work. I replaced the original hubs with manual hubs and seems it works as far as the hubs. My problem is, I dont know if the transfer case is always feeding the front drive train to the wheel axle. It seems to me, that there is something that the transfer case has to engage to make the front drive move, thus moving the front axle. Or, does the front drive train always spin?
I thought putting on manual hubs would fix it, but I still think that maybe the front drive is not engaging. Which means, I will still have to replace or troubleshoot the electronic module in the back of the super cab, to engage the transfer case to make the front drive spin, thus making the front axle spin.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2015 AT 1:51 PM

RACEFAN966
Ok so manual hubs is an upgrade. So tell me what is the truck doing? What are the lights on the dash doing? What makes you thing that it isn't working? As far as how it works you first lock you hub (now that they are manual) then as you know push the button and it send the signal to the module which then sends the signal to the transfer case motor on the back of the transfer case and that locks in the 4X4. Get back to with some answers and we will go from there ok.
Thursday, June 25th, 2015 AT 7:07 AM
COASTNSEA
I know about the manual hubs and the button. Dangit tho, yesterday when I tested it on loose soil I forgot to push the darn button in tho.I was very distracted with alot of things. Anyway, the light next to the 4x4 button comes on and the 4x4 light underneath the speedometer comes on. Which is a good sign but I still have to make sure the connection to the transfer case is good and that the transfer case is working. Any tips? The front wheels were not spinning before I put the manual hubs on. That is why I put them on, in hopes it would fix it. I guess the next thing to do is test it again, and make sure I push the darn button in this time. Then check voltage to the transfer case with the button on. If I get voltage I suppose it could be the transfer case, but cross our fingers that it is not. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I do have another question. Does the front drive train and the front axle have some type of connection point that I should be concerned with? For instance, maybe the front drive train spins but the axel does not spin?
+1
Thursday, June 25th, 2015 AT 7:35 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok sounds good. Now as for the front diff it is locked once the hubs are locked in. The driveline doesn't turn till the transfer case motor locks the transfer case in. The transfer case motors do go bad a lot. Keep in mind you will only get one tire upfront to spin it is not a possi front end, you would be better to have it on a hoist and see if all locks in just saying. Anyway let me know what you find and we will go from there if needed ok.
Friday, June 26th, 2015 AT 7:40 AM
COASTNSEA
This will be my last question, I can take it from here. I did not understand your comment about "one tire spinning". 1. The front drive train will kick in once the motor to the transfer case kicks in to the transfer case. 2. The front drive will turn, thus, turning the front axel. The axel will turn but unless I am locked in on the hubs, the tires will not turn. 3. So, if the transfer case engages with the front drive train, the front drive train will turn the front axle. If the hubs are locked, then the tires will spin.
My question is, I dont understand what you mean about "one tire spinning". If both hubs are locked in, wont the front axle turn both tires?
Friday, June 26th, 2015 AT 11:59 AM
RACEFAN966
First let me ask away don't bother me at all ok. As for one tire well you see the front is not a posi can't be wouldn't do well in corners if it was so one tire will get most of the power causing it to spin and maybe not the other thats all.
Saturday, June 27th, 2015 AT 6:24 AM
COASTNSEA
Its all working. What happened tho was when I was done testing it, I went to turn off the button on dashboard, (after putting hubs on free), and the 4x4 lights on the dash would not go out. They finally did, but that was weird. Thanks for your help.
Tuesday, June 30th, 2015 AT 11:39 AM
RACEFAN966
That is very weird, glad its all fixed and working though. Thanks again for being patient and have a great 4th.
Saturday, July 4th, 2015 AT 12:21 AM
RACEFAN966
That is very weird, thanks again and glad it all working. Have a great 4h
Saturday, July 4th, 2015 AT 12:23 AM