Very loud clanging sound F-150

TFALLS1
  • 1993 FORD F-150
1993 f150 xtended cab. Just started up, a very loud clanging noise that increases with speed, not much until 10 mph or so, then increases in sound and speed as truck speeds up. Just started as not a strange sound before this, even a squeak or such. Sounds like something is banging as truck speeds up. Shook drive shaft but seems tight but hard to tell if ujoints, xmission mounts or rear end, but very loud Ideas? Is not fan hitting anything or belt as only increases in intensity when speed, not RPM goes up. Wee bit scary as really gets loud. Was told might be u joint but not sure how to check that, tried to move driveshaft by hand, zero there. Other advise was xmission motor mounts, but they look OK, by noise sounds like a frying pan hitting wheel. Checked, no fry pan under truck
Monday, September 5th, 2011 AT 7:05 PM

SATURNTECH9
Have you checked the condition and color of the of thr transmission fluid to see if it looks like the transmission has a internal failure?See if the transmission fluid is turning a gun metal grey color that means there is metal in the fluid.
Monday, September 5th, 2011 AT 8:15 PM
TFALLS1
Transmission is fine, fluid is fine, this is not the issue.
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 2:20 PM
SATURNTECH9
So if you know its not a issue your left with ujoints if they were that bad you would be able to see movement in them. Also the drive line out of balance banging around and vibration and the rear end. Also you have wheel bearings that could be making noise. Can you tell where the noise is coming from.
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 4:44 PM
TFALLS1
Will jack it up next day or two. Never heard a noise like this before, not a whine, or crunch, etc. Almost bell like and clanging, increases with speed, not rpm, seems to be from rear area of truck, but not 100% on that one. If wheel bearing, not really sure what is hitting, but almost sounds like a bell. Drive shaft (in park) seems tight, will not shake and no exterior signs of wear on collar drive shaft runs, could not see nay "Dust" from Ujoints.
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 5:36 PM
SATURNTECH9
There could be two much clearance between the ring gear and pion gear in the rear end keep me posted on what you find.
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 6:17 PM
TFALLS1
Would seem to me if rear end was it, would have got some initial noise of some kind prior to this monstrous clangs. Will jack up in few days and see what I can find, so far not much in ujoints or wear showing on drive shaft collar. Really first time ever ran into noise that loud and does not change when cornering, which might indicate not a rear end? Swear it sounds like something loose hitting something in same spot as wheels rotate.
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 8:35 PM
SATURNTECH9
If something broke loose in the rear it could happen suddenly that noise.I wouldnt rule anyhing out just because the noise happens suddenly life happens.I have had things happen to my car without warning.
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 9:52 PM
TFALLS1
You are NOT going to believe this one. Attached is photo of some sort of clamp or such, stuck in tire, My guess is when tire rotated it hit fender well, or concrete and clanged, would explain faster you went, more noise and in rear. TIER was NOT going down fast, still up till pulled it. NOTE I had jacked up rear wheels, spun by hand, in an out of gear, Then started truck and put in drive at idol, no noise. But noted tired going down and when I looked there was the beast stuck in tire, you can see size. As said NEVER heard a noise like that one, tire in shop and all seems well, will test drive when I put tire on, but strongly suspect this was issue. Old thing about check for obvious but it was on front right and road/truck noise seemed to sound like rear, more so with speed up noise as truck speed'd up. For once glad a nail in tire as lot cheaper fix. Thanks for interest and ideas, guess this one very rare issue like this or at least hope so.
Friday, September 9th, 2011 AT 5:14 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome glad you found the problem we just got all caught up in the fact we thought the noise was in the transmission or rear end. Doesnt help things that I cant hear the noise or take a test drive with you. But atleast it was a really good suprise of what the noise was.
Friday, September 9th, 2011 AT 6:06 PM
TFALLS1
Yep that noise kind of reminded me of a really shot ring gear or wheel bearing, but what was the odd part if you went slow it did not make noise as not flung out to hit wheel well. So slower and no noise seemed like something not loading up, NEVER ever saw anything like this one and due to high level not to thrilled to "Test drive". But when jacked p and zero noise, play, or ujoint issues, then zero noise when engine engaged, wheels turn and no noise, well that was really weird. Worse yet tire did not really go down much, until rear jacked up and pressure on it. So we live and learn, but first time ever felt good to find a flat as lot cheaper repair then ring/etc
Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 4:48 PM
SATURNTECH9
If you have more questions feel free to post another question.
Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 11:27 PM