Van won't start.

MANA
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN
1993 dodge caravan. Will not start. Will not jump. Lights, radio, heat work still. Tried to jump nothing. No odd noises come from van. Sounds the same as any other day when trying to start it. Plugs, belts are still good. The chck engine light flashes. I can hear the fuel pump click on. Idk what else to look for. Can you help?
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 4:34 AM

DR LOOT
You probably got a bad starter or your battery terminals are very dirty. Or both
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 4:39 AM
A common problem is a cracked cam on the end of the ignition switch lock cylinder. That prevents the switch from turning all the way to the "crank" position even though the key appears to go all the way. The dealer's parts department has a repair kit so you don't have to replace the cylinder, although they can make you a new one of those too that uses your existing keys. If this is the cause of the problem, you can prove it by popping the plastic cover off the starter relay, reinstalling the relay, and squeezing the contact.

There is a different common problem with worn solenoid contacts in the starter but you would be hearing one kind of loud clunk each time you turned the ignition switch to "crank". Those contacts can be replaced for 20 bucks but most people just replace the entire starter. It will crank eventually if you keep trying it enough times but it will also get progressively worse over a period of weeks or months.

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 5:52 AM
Hi Dr Loot. Sorry for the double reply. I hope they add a button to allow us to delete our replies when appropriate.

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 5:54 AM
DR LOOT
No apology necessary, I appreciate your information, you are just making smarter
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 6:19 AM