Hey guys still having a problem with my van its.

ANONYMOUS
  • 1993 CHEVROLET VAN
Hey guys still having a problem with my van its still having a no start no crank issue its got a new battery and starter so when I turn the key I just hear a single click from the starter also the panel lights go off and on an the radio dims any ideas to diagnosis this maybe something in the cables between the battery and starter
Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 AT 6:34 PM

Your engine isnt froze, is it? Can you turn the crankshaft by hand?

Use a digital multimeter across battery posts, everything off, the generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts. If the battery is down, you have to get it charged or we cant do any testing.

Did you try jumper cables to see if it would crank?
Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 AT 8:11 PM
JOHNVERNONHILL
Ya the battery was dead so I put in a new one how do you turn the crankshaft by hand?
Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 AT 10:25 PM
You should be able to turn it at the flywheel or the front end of crankshaft.
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 1:44 PM
You should be able to use a screwdriver on the flywheel teeth to see if it will turn.
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 1:46 PM
JOHNVERNONHILL
Im new at this still learning where everything is located wheres the fly wheel
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 6:53 PM
JOHNVERNONHILL
Ok well I went to go test my battery I disconnected the negative side a few days ago and just connected it back up then my alarm went off it has not been able to do that in years what do you think that means? Do you the alarm is the power problem
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 7:40 PM
I looked at G10 van. There is no security system on the starter circuit. Since you put the new battery on, will it crank?

The flywheel is on rear of engine. You access from underneath the vehicle. Probably a flywheel cover you would have to remove. The starter drive gear engages the flywheel teeth.
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 7:57 PM
JOHNVERNONHILL
The alarm went off when I touched and connected the negative cable to new battery and no it still would not crank just clicks at the starter
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 8:14 PM
If the engine isnt froze up, check for good voltage at the starter, with key in the crank position. Have a helper turn the key. Any testing at the starter, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the parking brake is set.

If all that checks out, have the starter tested. Some of the national brand autostores will test the starter for you, if you take it off and take it to them.

If you have an aftermarket security system hooked into the starter circuit, I cant trouble shoot that, my wiring diagram is factory wiring.
Thursday, April 11th, 2013 AT 2:25 PM