1993 Chevy S-10 idling high problems

MICHAEL26
  • 1993 CHEVROLET S-10
Have replaced a v6 motor into chevy s10 ext cab. Engine idling high now. Tps, auto air sensor, and coolant sensor could affect it? I was told could be my temp sensor. These sensors are the same sensors from old motor that I had tooken out, never had this problem til I replace the motor. I know tps controls the idle, and tells it when to shift gears, but when I go to unhook the temp sensor when engine running high it idles way down then back up to high. But doesnt start when sensor is unplugged. Tps unhooked doesnt change anything. What could my problem be?
Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 AT 4:45 AM

The idle air control valve takes care of the idle. Check for vacuum leaks too. If this is the 4.3L, check the intake for leaks. It was a common problem.
Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 AT 4:49 AM
MICHAEL26
I have checked every vaccum every hose is brand new connected good. Have one more question on this, On the radiator. Why would my top hose collapse, block is full as well is the radiator is full of coolant. Its hot but no coolant. Engine never gets hot either. I have changed the thermostat new. I will check all these tomm and replace what u have suggested. And I will donate something for your help. Its just so aggravating! Thanks
Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 AT 5:02 AM
Not a problem. The upper rad hose should have a spring inside of it to prevent that from happening. Are you sure the thermostat was installed in the correct direction? Also, is this the 4.3 and not the 2.8? As far as a vacuum leak, I understand all the new hoses are new, but the intakes on the 4.3 from back then had problems with leaks. As far as the IAC, remove it and clean it. Have a helper turn the key on and off. You should see the pintel move a little. What happens is on a fuel injected engine, the throttle plate closes completely when you are off the gas. However, the engine needs air to run. That is where the IAC comes in. The pintel valve at the end allows metered air to enter the intake based on what the computer tells it.

As far as donating, if you can great. If you can't, please don't worry about it. We are here to help. Regardless, let me know what you find.
Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 AT 5:19 AM
MICHAEL26
What can cause the transmission to not shift until around 25mph and its not shifting into passing gear. Trans was fine before, could the IAC valve have anything to do with that?
Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 AT 2:28 PM
No, the IAC wouldn't affect that. Check the linkage to the transmission.
Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 AT 4:01 PM