1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Fuel issue?

TAZWIND
  • 1993 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I pulled my chevy out of retirement after years of sitting in gargage but fired it up every month and ran it 30 minutes. Replaced a bad fuel pump, changed the fuel filter, took it to shop after a run and had the radiator replaced since it got hot in my first run. Had one (1) leaking injector replaced. Took it out on short runs, ran great came on and died but when I decided to take it on a longer run, 25 miles into it it was running perfect and then SUDDENLY coughed, started missing and then "check engine light" came on and died. Felt like the fuel pump quit. As I sat there with the key on (by mistake) for about 20 minutes, it fired back up (ran rough) and about a mile of so did the same as above. Towed it home and after sitting a couple of days, will fire up and idle just fine but as soon as you press the gas pedal, runs rough (like it's starving for fuel). You can ease off of the gas pedal and then slowly press it and it will clear out and accept fuel and run at higher revs.

again, I put an easy 1000 miles on it before having the one leaking fuel injector replaced but only about 100 miles after the injector replacement before it left me along side the road. Could the ECM have gotten hot enough when I had driven it over heated to have gone bad? Seems like a fuel problem and when it does fire up and idle smoothly the "check engine light" DOES NOT come on. All electrical parts are old in age but new in mileage and usage since it was fully tuned up before retirement.
Thank you for ANY help !

Ron
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 7:52 AM

SATURNTECH9
I would have the exhaust for excessive back pressure you may have plugged the cat up from the bad injector. Also check the fuel pressure to rule that out I know you have a new pump but that doesn't mean anything. Also check it for codes light on or not.
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 8:57 AM
TAZWIND
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, appreciate your comments but that's no more than I would have gotten from my car repair shop upon a call. So I DONATED a mere $20.00 but with the guarantee of a refund if I wasn't happy with a reply from this web site.

I'm not happy, what about a refund?

Thank you !

Tazwind
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 3:41 PM
SATURNTECH9
I will gladly get you a refund if that's what you want.I am not there to drive the car test the car etc so am at a great disadvantage but am trying to really help here. But your expecting a instant answer without anything being tested or tried? I am here for the long haul to help you but since I am not there to do what I suggest trying testing etc that's where you come in.I am here to help if you still want me too but please lower your expections of a instant answer from the information you have provide. If you still want a refund I will get It for you. But if you still want me to help you please be patient like I am with everyone I help on here. How long did the car sit?Is there any old gas that was still in the tank when you started driving it?Could be possibly water bad gas still left over rolling around? Did you ever check for excessive exhaust pressure?Or the actual fuel pressure?
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 4:04 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
Hi Ron,
We certainly stand by our guarantee, if we can't help we will be glad to refund your donation. We are here to try and figure out tough problems like yours, sometimes that takes a few replies back and forth as you work with our expert to get all the information possible to get to the bottom of the problem. Thanks for your patience.
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 4:41 PM
TAZWIND
My sincere apologies, I was having a bad day, no excuse though. I appreciate your input and will continue to watch the replies I may receive.

Thank you !

Ron
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 6:15 AM
TAZWIND
Yesterday it fired right up, idled with the air on (under a load) for a good 15 minutes, allowed me to press the gas pedal and accepted revs without hesitation, ran like nothing had gone wrong.

Then it coughed a couple of times idled down roughly and died as if the fuel pump had quit, strange. Yes I've ran a couple of tanks through it so the fuel is fine and like I had said, the fuel pump was changed about 1200 miles ago.

So it seems (odd as it may be), the longer it sits, the longer it will run before dying. I say that since a few days ago prior to it running yesterday, it fired but ran rough where prior to even that day it would run at all.

This is a classic car I bought brand new, looks showroom and I just put $2,100.00 into it in tires, struts radiator, etc. Thus my disappointment and frustrations on having this happen and the fear to start changing the wrong parts to get her up again.

Thanks again guys !

Ron
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 6:25 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
Have you scanned it for any trouble codes it may have set? Even if the light comes on and goes off, it may still leave a code that may help us pin point the problem.
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 8:49 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
Did you replace the fuel pump with a GM factory pump? Some aftermarket pumps are just junk right out of the box. When it fails is a great time to check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail to see what it is.
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 8:56 AM
SATURNTECH9
I forgive you everyone has a bad day. When you replaced the fuel pump did you remove all the old gas at that time?Also did you replace the whole. Fuel pump module the housing lines and pick up screen?Also I agree with mike it would be good to check the fuel pressure when its acting up.I have seen my fair share if defective parts on brand new cars and parts I put on. Also check for codes even if you never saw the light come on.I would also do a back pressure test on the exhaust to rule that out when its acting up. Also if it ever dies and won't pop or even try to start check fr spark.
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 10:03 AM
TAZWIND
Hi guys:

No it wasn't a GM fuel pump, it was purchased from Autozone. Yes.I truly believe you are right, time to check the fuel pressure when the problems start.

Didn't drain the old fuel but there wasn't much in there. This morning, once again, fired right up, ran perfectly for 30 minutes this time. It's soooooooooooooo strange, the longer it sits, the better things go and it seems, when it gets to operating temp, that's when it decides to start the trouble BUT as mentioned, it runs at operating temp longer and longer before it does it's thing (the longer it sits), broke down last Sunday 8:00 AM.

I've come to the conclusion, it's a fuel issue that has something to do with temp. Go figure. You guys are a life saver with your program, at least I can discuss this without having the car sitting in a shop at $95.00 per hour.

Take care and if anything pops in your head, let me know,

Ron
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 1:50 PM
SATURNTECH9
Plugged cats usually get worse with exhaust temp I have seen the car run good when cold once the exhaust temp gets hotter the power loss etc begins. So do rule that out. Also doesn't take much bad gas to make the engine run poorly intermittently. Also please check for codes you can flash the codes out of the check engine light on that car.
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 1:58 PM
TAZWIND
Well guys, you were correct on an issue (I think). See I filled the beast at a Valero out in the middle of no where when this all started. Yesterday, it fired up and idled a full hour, would slightly idle down occasionally as if it were picking up water. So I said screw it and took it out for a cruise.

Ran like a clock for I'm guessing 20 miles. So, it's a road trip today, hopefully it doesn't let me down, I'll keep you posted and once again, thank you !

Ron
Saturday, September 7th, 2013 AT 6:42 AM
SATURNTECH9
Get a bottle of fuel drier and some techron to add to a full tank of gas. Let me know how you make out.
Saturday, September 7th, 2013 AT 7:27 AM
TAZWIND
Hey there:

I did just that and took her for a 200 mile cruise, ran like new. You were right, contaminated fuel !

My hat is off to you guys !

Ron
Tuesday, September 10th, 2013 AT 12:57 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome anytime we love a happy ending.
Tuesday, September 10th, 2013 AT 2:50 PM