CAR ENGINE DIES WHEN I TRY TO ACCELERATE AFTER SLOWING DOWN OR STOPPING

1992 Toyota Corolla

limiturself31

I just got a brand new battery for my 1992 Toyota Corolla 170k. The car was working just fine, ran great, but a couple of days later the car batter is dead. I get it jump started, let it charge for a couple of min. And head out. About two miles away, after coming to a stop sign, I turn and try to accelerate but the engine doesn't respond. The more gas I give the slower I went and eventually the engine dies completely. As the car was dieing I started to hear a loud clanking sound in the engine area and by the time I looked under the hood, I saw on the front side of the engine was glowing red hot underneath the metal safety guard thingy. After this, I cannot restart the car and have to get another jump. But then does the same thing right down the street. Brand new alternator, brand new starter, maybe new oil change and transmission oil change?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

February, 14, 2011 AT 2:06 PM

It sounds like the catalytic converter is plugged and causing the issue. If it is red hot, it is plugged.