Passenger Window

SHANDADAVIS
  • 1992 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

My automatic window in my passenger door will roll down but will not roll up. I was thinking it is the regulator but the window is not fallin farther down.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 8:04 PM

SATURNTECH9

It sound's more like a binding window glass a bad window motor or bad switch. SO is the glass up high enough to grab with your hand?If so grab the glass and move the window switch to the up position while pulling up on the glass and see if the window will start to go up that way.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 8:59 PM
SHANDADAVIS

I tried that when it first happened, that didnt work. I cant hear any sound in the door when we push the button to try and get the window to go up. The glass is just 3/4 the way down so we can still grab ahold of it.

Tuesday, February 15th, 2011 AT 10:13 AM
SATURNTECH9

Go to the right hand window switch with the key in the run position on the passenger door and move the window switch to the up position. You should have battery voltage to the dark blue wire with everything plugged in. If you do the switch is sending voltage to the motor and working. Then you will have take off the door panel and make sure the motor is getting power and ground when moving the switch to the up position. Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, February 15th, 2011 AT 8:04 PM
SHANDADAVIS

Me and my friend took off the panel today and used a tester on the plug that plugs into the switch and everything is gettin power. But when we looked down where the metal move arm is that is attached to the bottom of the window it looks like the metal move arm is holdin the window down. For some reason everythin works but that swing arm wont move back up.

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 2:01 AM
SATURNTECH9

The metal arm is move's the window up and down. You need to see if your getting power and ground to the motor which is what move's that arm. Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 4:02 AM
SHANDADAVIS

How in the world do you find out if your gettin power and ground to the motor. We checked the plug and that goes into the switch and that is fine. How do we check to see if the motor is gettin power and ground.

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 4:11 AM
SATURNTECH9

By using the multimeter lead's to measure power and ground at the widow motor connector. So did you check the wire for power that I told you too at the passenger window switch?

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 5:02 AM
SHANDADAVIS

Yes I tried that, and we tried to see if its gettin power and it is.

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 10:54 PM
SATURNTECH9

If your getting power and ground to the motor and the window isn't going up then you have to unbolt the window glass from the arm and see if the window glass moves up and down freely then you have a failed motor.I would also inspect the regulator to make sure it isn't broken or worn.

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 12:30 AM
SHANDADAVIS

WE tried to free it from the arm but it wont come off. What can we do to get it off. Is it held on by a bolt, and if so is it in the middle or on the sides?

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 4:27 AM
SATURNTECH9

It look's like there is a ball socket on the end of the arm on the regulator that slide's in a channel on the base of the window. On the the right side of the base of the window you will see the cut out where the ball can slide out.

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 5:27 PM
SHANDADAVIS

Ok is there a screw in there? Or does it just pop out?

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 9:48 PM
SATURNTECH9

It looks like it just pops out I only have a diagram to go by with a car that old the info is limted on my online repair manual.

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 9:56 PM
SHANDADAVIS

Ok I will take a look, hopefully it just pops out or is easy to figure out. I talked to the previous owner, he says that is has happened before that after awhile it just goes back up. Could that mean that maybe there is something else wrong?

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 10:18 PM
SATURNTECH9

No usually if your getting power and ground to the motor the possible cause's are a binding glass bad or weak window motor or a binding regulator.

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 11:16 PM
SHANDADAVIS

Ya we cant even get the ball socket to budge. Is it possible that it is the motor? Even though we are gettin power could it still be that the motor is jammed or fried I guess you could say.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 7:55 PM
SATURNTECH9

Yes it's very possible you could have a bad window motor if your getting power and ground to the motor and nothing is moving then more then likely you have a bad motor or a bound up regulator/window glass. Since you already tried helping the window up by grabbing the glass I guess it would be safe to say you don't have a bound up window glass. You will have to undo the window regulator and slide that ball out of that channel and see if the arm move's at all.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 5:30 AM
COVERLAND

Hey I'd like to get a piece of this guys (though the thread is a year old :-). I'm having a similar problem with my passenger window on my 92 Grand Prix LE. I seem to remember that if someone closed the window too high (kept their finger on the up button once the window was closed), it would bind up and the window wouldn't work afterwards. To clear this, you could usually go over railroad tracks or something with a finger on the down button. Not opening this window. I've checked voltage at the motor and do have 12v on the blue wire but haven't tried grounding the other wire (brown) yet as I've looked for a wiring diagram. I'm not anxious to drill out the rivets but I guess if it comes to that. In the meantime, how might I check the 'regulator'? I don't know much about how these regulators interact with the motor and am anxious to learn more. I'm trying to get this car going again after a couple of years in storage as it waited for my daughter to turn 16. Thanks for any help.

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 9:06 PM