92 Pontiac Grand Prix

TASHAWNA
  • 1992 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
My husband and I are trying to change the crank shaft sensor. Have any tips on removing it? What to do if it breaks
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 1:45 PM

ERNEST CLARK
First, I have no idea which engine you have in your grand prix. I need to know this in order to guide you correctly. I've included a general procedure, but you'll have to locate your sensor on your own. Tools to make it easy are: 3/8 ratchet, mm sockets (standard and deep-well) and socket extensions of different lengths.

The sensor won't break. But don't drop the new one because the magnet inside can get damaged.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT:

Negative battery cable.
Electrical connector from the crankshaft sensor.
Sensor hold-down bolt.
Sensor from engine.
Inspect the crankshaft sensor o-ring for cracks, wear or leakage. Before installing new sensor, lubricate the new o-ring with engine oil.
INSTALL OR CONNECT:

New sensor into the hole in the engine block.
Tighten the sensor hold-down bolt and torque to 10 N-m (88 in. Lbs).
Crankshaft sensor electrical connection.
Negative battery cable.
NOTE: The system has a learning ability which allows it to make corrections for minor variations in the fuel system to improve driveability. When the battery is disconnected the computer's memory is cleared and the learning process has to begin all over again. A change may be noticed in the driving performance of the vehicle. To reset the vehicles learning ability, make sure the engine is at operating temperature and operate the vehicle at part throttle, moderate acceleration, and idle conditions, until normal performance returns.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 1:44 AM