1992 Pontiac Firebird Engine swap

MUSTANGDOS70
  • 1992 PONTIAC FIREBIRD
After swapping engines, ('92 to '90) I didn't notice that the flywheel moved 1/2 inch toward the block and blinded. Obviously, when I tried to start it, it wouldn't. I haven't dropped the tranny yet to see if I can move the flywheel by hand yet. My question is, is this the correct thing to do? Will I be able to move the flywheel back to it's working location fairly easily? Is there anything else that I need to do?
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 3:23 AM

Check to see if it 's the correct flywheel there are a cople different ones. If it's an automatic the converter may have slipped forward and that is your problem. If it didi dont' be surprised if it broke your oil pump in transmission either.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 6:10 AM
MUSTANGDOS70
Looks like the Flywheel/Flexplate's are different on the '92 and the '90. One has like 168 teeth and the other 148. The starters are different as well. Go figure. It is an automatic. Yes, the converter has slipped forward. What is the best way to correct this? I haven't figured out an easy way to loosen the bell housing from the engine block without removing the motor mount bolts and lifting the engine again. There is not a lot of room to get a wrench between the block and the firewall.
Thursday, September 19th, 2013 AT 8:09 PM
The best way is to do it like it's supposed to. You drop the engine and trans and cradle assy then take the trans off. If you r conveter has slipped your pump my have broken so you'll have to check that. The convertershold be sl;id back after trans is out or loose it has to go into pump otherwise it breaks it. It will slide forward a little whe it is bolted to the flywheel.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 6:37 AM
MUSTANGDOS70
The converter is bolted to the flywheel/flexplate. The flywheel is what is bond against the engine block. Would that cause the pump to brake? I would think if it slipped toward the tranny then I'd be in trouble.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 6:45 AM
As long as the torque converter never came out then you are ok.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 7:08 AM
MUSTANGDOS70
I unbolted the torque converter when I got the engine out so I could mount it to the engine stand. I bolted it back up before I put it back in the car. Why would that make a difference?
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 7:27 AM
Don't worry about it
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 7:51 AM
MUSTANGDOS70
So, after dropping the back of the tranny, unbolting the bell housing from the engine block, removing the starter and unbolting the torque converter from the flywheel, (I forgot to mark it the first time I took it off), I was able to move the torque converter onto the tranny as it should have been. I bolted everything back up, got the correct starter and was able to start the car. It sounds like crap. There's a loud squealing noise coming from the back lower half of the engine. Sounds like the flywheel may now be warped. Starter doesn't always catch and I have to turn the motor over by hand a few turns. Idles like crap. Very rough. I guess I lost a lot more tranny fluid than I thought cuz I've put in a quart and it's barely registering on the dip stick. Needless to say, I'm frustrated.
Thursday, September 26th, 2013 AT 8:34 PM
Not being able to see this i'd really suggest you have a local pro look at this for you. I don't know what to tell you.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 7:36 AM