My fathers car is shutting down while driving with no warning any suggestions

FRUSTRATED&CONFUSED
  • 1992 OLDSMOBILE CIERA
My father has a 1992 Oldsmobile cutlass Ciera S that is having an issue and I cant figure out what would cause it. You will be driving down the road and without warning the car will shut down without any kind of warning and will not restart for about 30 mins now I have checked the fuel filter for any kind of blockage and found none, I have also had the coil pack tested and it is fine, I did notice that the alternator gets really hot and so does the power lead to the alternator I have checked the wire for any cracks or anyway it could ground out and have found none. I am completely stumped and frustrated any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 5:31 AM

MHPAUTOS
What is the alternator output voltage at the main terminal on the alternator? When the car stops can you check to see if you still have spark?
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:01 AM
FRUSTRATED&CONFUSED
I'm not sure of the alternator voltage I will check that in the morning but as far as the spark when it dies i'm not getting any spark at all
but if I let it cool down for about 20 mins it usually starts right back up
Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 5:29 AM
JOSELOPEZ1
It can be a weak gas pump 2 so check that
Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 10:45 PM