WHILE DRIVING CAR CUTS OFF BUT WILL START RIGHT BACK UP WHAT'S WRONG?

1992 Nissan Maxima

Biggestboss

October, 9, 2011 AT 2:51 AM

Engine has a small intake leak but other than that engine runs fine

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

October, 9, 2011 AT 2:57 AM

Sounds like an electrical fault but guessing it here is almost impossible without seeing and touching it. Off the top of my head, make sure all the grounds around the battery and on the block are clean and tight. Check the connector at the distributor for good contact.
Beyond that, you may need a shop that specializes in intermittent electrical failures.

October, 9, 2011 AT 3:52 AM

Does it cut off only when gas pedal is released?

Biggestboss

October, 9, 2011 AT 1:09 PM

It cuts off while the gas petal is pressed

October, 9, 2011 AT 2:48 PM

Yes, this is an electrical problem and the ignition switch is one of the main causes for such problem.

When engine cuts off, if the dash indicators remains off, the ignition switch would be the prime suspect.

cadieman

October, 9, 2011 AT 3:01 PM

Youll need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge. What is the pressure when it quits?Fix it so you can see it while driving.

Biggestboss

October, 9, 2011 AT 5:06 PM

The transmission also drops down in a lower gear sometimes while driving could this be the problem?

Biggestboss

October, 9, 2011 AT 5:09 PM

The dash lights don't come on right when the motor stalls they light up a few seconds later

October, 10, 2011 AT 12:09 PM

I believe you have a problem with the ignition switch. It fails to work after heating up and that is the reason the dash indicators do not light up when engine stalled.

cadieman

October, 10, 2011 AT 2:59 PM

Check the chargeing sys. To make sure you working with proper voltage. Then the fuel pressure. After that check the electrical.

Biggestboss

October, 10, 2011 AT 9:39 PM

Are you sure it isnt the intake gasket leak that I have? Could that be triggering the map sensor?