Windshield wipers stopped working

92 JEEP SHMOBER
  • 1992 JEEP CHEROKEE

The windshield wipers stopped working and I cannot find any way to get them to work.

Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 6:39 PM

What have you tried?

With the ignition and wiper switches turned on, (not delay mode), check for voltage on the metal case of the wiper motor. If there is voltage on it, the ground strap has a burned spot. Running a new ground wire between the motor and the car body sheet metal will solve that permanently.

If there is no voltage on the motor, check for voltage on the wires in its electrical connector. If nothing is there, check the fuses and the wiper switch.

Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 6:47 PM
JCAVAGRO
  • JEEP CHEROKEE
  • MERGED

The (intermittent type) wipers quit working and the windshield washer pump quit also. I cannot locate the fuse(s), either under the dash or in the engine compartment. They are not labeled. Also, my Haynes manual says these two items share A. A 7.5 amp Circuit Breaker and B. A Intermittent Windshield Wiper Module, but does not tell where either are located or how to check them.
I obviously want to check and replace the cheapest parts first. Can anyone help me locate these items and troubleshoot them?
Thanks in advance.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:26 PM
MERLIN2021
  • MERGED

Here are the tests, follow the multifuntion switch wires to the itermitt switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Switch_copy_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_InterTest_copy_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_WiperTests_copy_1.jpg

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:26 PM
MERLIN2021
  • MERGED

I looked in Mitchell for you and could not locate it, best guess is follow the wires from the multifunction and they will lead to it! Or swing into a jeep service dept and they will show you. I have never seen a dealer charge an owner for this kind of help.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:26 PM
PRS2112
  • 1994 JEEP CHEROKEE
  • MERGED

Six cylinder four wheel drive manual 243,000 miles

About four months ago my turn signals began to act up, they would stop working and then a little later they would just fix themselves. A little later the heat and windshield wipers stopped working too. Now the strange part is, is that I could make them all work again if I fidgeted with the tumbler it would feel like it would stick and then work.
Now nothing works, heat, wipers or signals, but the heat still comes through the vents when on highway but the motor itself is not blowing. Another strange thing is that the heat and wipers work when I move the key to the accessories position, but not when I am driving, I thought maybe if I replaced the tumbler, ignition key then maybe it would work but I am unsure.

If you have any thoughts on what this could be I would really appreciate it.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM
M_H_RITZEL
  • MERGED

With everything working when put on accessories, I would look at the ignition switch. But first check all the wires around the fuse box and check the fuses. I would think there is a ground problem. Accept that they work with the accessories turned on. The heater, wipers and signal lights they are on separate circuits. Check the wires from the ignition switch to the fuse box. Check the fuse for the wipers. Use a tester to see if it is getting current with hey on position and then turn the key to accessories and see if the test light comes on. If the light does not come on in the on position and does in the accessories position then I would look at the ignition switch.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM
STEPHGODBY
  • 1994 JEEP CHEROKEEJEEP CHEROKEE
  • MERGED

I have a Limited with 184,000 miles that I purchased a couple of months ago. When I bought it, the rear windshield wiper did not work, the rear dome light switch did not work, the driver's side door switch did not operate the interior dome lights as well as a monotonous list of small solenoid type of problems with the locks and windows. (Those smaller issues, I chose to live with for now.) Last night, I changed the rear dome light and rear wiper motor, which both now work. However, when removing the dome light from the ceiling, I heard a pop and the lights went out as we got the fixture off of the pressure fittings. We replaced the fuse and that corrected that problem, however now the rear running lights, instrument control panel and radio are inoperative. Again, I checked fuses, and discovered that fuse number seven was blown. Every time I replace it, it blows immediately. Before I started chasing wires, I was hoping that someone might have experienced this before and can get me started in the right direction.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM
BACKYARDMECHANIC
  • MERGED

Is the dome light on the same fuse as the rear running lights? If so make sure when you replaced the dome light that you did not pinch any wires.
Good luck, BYM

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM
STEPHGODBY
  • MERGED

Actually it is not. And since I posted the question, I fixed the problem. When we took the panel off of the hatch door to replace the rear wiper motor, we noticed a wire that was disconnected. Thinking that maybe it became disconnected when we took the panel off, we reconnected it. It appeared to be speaker wire. Apparently, it was not. To retrace our steps before chasing the tangle of wire through the jeep, we took the panel back off and unplugged that wire and voila! Running lights! So, it is all better now.

Looking back through some recalls, I wonder if that wire caused a problem before and the recall fix was to disconnect it. For your reference, it is a very small male to female connection wire harness with two blue wires on one end and a black on the other located right next to the left rear speaker.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM
JEEPGUY74
  • MERGED

Wow! This just happened to me. I just picked up an 1987 Cherokee two door Laredo and had a turn signal problem. I fixed the flasher, replaced a bad socket and install all new bulbs front and back. I was working on the back hatch and noticed two wires that were disconnected. I plugged them together and forgot about it. After that, I started blowing fifteen amp fuses for my park lights. I unhooked every light to rule out a short somewhere. I did not think of that hatch wire that I plugged in, until I read this. I was ready to buy a new headlight switch and start tracing wires. Phew!

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM