Transmission limp mode and Torque Lock (overdrive)

STEVEAL01
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
Problem just ocurred when I was stopped in gear and heard the transmission selector click (like it would when you have started the car and pressed the brake to release the selector)and teh "D" light turn off then bright up. Trans would not engage on 1st gear, basically in limp mode, Then would go back to normal. Then after a while on the freeway, this happened again and the limp mode activated again and trans shifted to 3rd gear (reving 3500 rpm @ 60mph). This would happen now frequent. There are no trouble codes on the ECU or the TCM popping up. I did check the TCM curcuit board and did notice some resistors that were bad (defects on the 90-91 accords)so I replaced resistors & reset the system. Drove car this morning and this happened again quickly then reverted back to normal and did not happen again, But I did notice that when I drive at highway speed, the trans torque does not steadily lock (after 4th gear, like overdrive). Am I looking at the wrong thing? What can I look for that could cause this/these problems. Seems like electrical to me (solenoids)? Help thanks.
Thursday, October 6th, 2011 AT 12:40 PM

It could be the torque converter clutch (TCC), but without trouble codes, that is a guess.
Thursday, October 6th, 2011 AT 1:15 PM
STEVEAL01
Checked the nm & nc sensors and ohm readings are good 524ohms, shift solenoids tested and clicked but one terminal sounds weaker than the other. Cleaned both sensors and solenoids and rechecked the car, the d4 remains on but also did not notice that I can shift the gear selector w/o pressing the brake (safety lock) does not activate. It sounds like a electrical issue to me but cannot pin point, either the tcm or the main relay. Any other opinions?
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 3:48 AM
I would recommend checking the tcm.
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 4:06 AM
STEVEAL01
We'll folks, it was the TCM. I took a hunch and took a trip to my local(45 mile) wrecking yard and searched for a TCM with identical i.D. Numbers for that specific year and model. Opened up at location to check if is was good. Also bought some spare shift and lock solenoids just in case(for some reason almost every honda had them missing). Switched TCM's (of course witht the battery disconnected)started up and took for a drive w/o any shifting issues. The morning, freeway trip to work to see how the lock up functions. Hope I still get my 35 miles per gallon on this wagon. Thanks all for your help and support.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 12:47 AM