This truck cranks but will only run on ether, whats the problem?

DOC08TN
  • 1992 FORD RANGER
I have replaced the fuel pump and have 40 lbs at the rail. I have also checked all fuses and I have a good injector pulse. The truck ran great untill it sat up for about a year. It will fire right up with a shot of ether, but dies immediately after the ether is gone. It is a 3.0 with a distributor.
Sunday, February 5th, 2012 AT 9:32 PM

Check your fuel pressure, sounds like you don't have any
Sunday, February 5th, 2012 AT 10:11 PM
DOC08TN
As I stated in my original question, I have 40 lbs pressure at the fuel rail.
Sunday, February 5th, 2012 AT 10:23 PM
If it's not getting fuel it can be the eec could be bad or it could be a ground going to it. So clean your groundsit shold be a black wire. There also is a eec power relay and that could not be letting the eec power up so check that as well.
Sunday, February 5th, 2012 AT 11:41 PM
DOC08TN
I have a good injector pulse. Would I have the injector pulse if the eec or its ground was bad? Also if the relay was out would I still have injector pulse?
Sunday, February 5th, 2012 AT 11:57 PM
If you have an injector pulse then you probbly have an injector problem. Butyou would need good pulses at all of them and they need to be tested with a noid light.
Sunday, February 5th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM
DOC08TN
I have only checked one injector with a light for pulse, the easiest one to get at. What would be my next move if I get a good pulse from all six injectors? Would one or two bad injectors stop the engine from at least trying to start?
Monday, February 6th, 2012 AT 12:39 AM
Wellyou could have a rich or lean conditions when they stop.I am assuming you have already checked this vehicle for codes as this may be the cause as well if this has anti theft and it has locked the system. That needs to be checked out as well.
Monday, February 6th, 2012 AT 2:09 AM
DOC08TN
Yes I have scanned the vehicle and there are no codes except all systems pass code. This vehicle has no anti-theft system. So if I do get a good pulse at all injectors what do you suggest I look at next? I thank you for your prompt replies and your patience.
Monday, February 6th, 2012 AT 2:28 AM
I really dont' know what to do, if youa re getting apulse thene the injectors should work unelss theyare all bad and I kind of doubt that. Not having it to look at all I can suggest is to check resistance in injectors. Otherwise have apro look at it.
Monday, February 6th, 2012 AT 12:19 PM