I have a 1992 Ford F-150 with a 4

MSTRAWDER
  • 1992 FORD F-150
I have a 1992 Ford F-150 with a 4.9L V6. It also has the dual tanks. I have seen so many conflicting statements about the components of the fuel system on this truck since I am experiencing a problem where when I use the front fuel tank (rear fuel pump is not working), fuel is running back into the rear tank and causing it to overflow. This truck has a fuel pump in each tank and another along the rail if I read everything correctly. However, what I'm unsure of is whether or not this truck has a fuel tank selector valve, or just the switch on the dash and the 3 pumps. Also, whether or not this issue would be solved by replacing the rear pump, which I believe has the check valves inside them.
Saturday, April 6th, 2013 AT 10:40 PM

FREEMBA
Your truck has a Fuel Selector Valve. ($65 or so)
if your rear tank isn't working and you don't plan on using it, just plug the line which lead from the front tank to the fuel selector valve [not the one which send fuel to the engine.

Otherwise you need to replace the rear pump and the fuel selector valve.
Saturday, April 6th, 2013 AT 11:39 PM
MSTRAWDER
Thanks for the quick reply. Where is it located at? According to the parts store sites, it's on the left rail behind the driver door. The ONLY thing along that entire rail other than fuel lines that I can see is a standard fuel filter. I do plan on replacing the pump to be able to use the rear tank. When you flip the switch on the dash, you get nothing on 'rear', but the front pump buzzes like a champ when you switch to 'front'.
Saturday, April 6th, 2013 AT 11:47 PM
FREEMBA
I fouund out that there is no fuel selector valve on this truck (because of the year model and the fact that you have a switch on the dash). Anyway repalcing the rear pump should cure the problem. As I understand it the pump assembly have a check valve which prevents fuel from flowing into the tank through the fuel line from the other tank. So replacing the rear tank's fuel pump assembly should cure the problem.
Sunday, April 7th, 2013 AT 3:02 AM
MSTRAWDER
Nice to hear that from an expert. That's what I thought after having done quite a bit of reading, but the fact that they sell that valve for my truck and conflicting info from several sites really made me wonder. You just saved me $65.00. Donation to the site always worth it.
Sunday, April 7th, 2013 AT 3:17 AM
FREEMBA
Sorry about the mix up. I called a buddy who works at a very good auto parts store and he said that they sold one for your truck, which led to the confusion. Please let me know how this all turns out. And of course, let us know if you need any more assistance.
Sunday, April 7th, 2013 AT 12:07 PM