STARTER PROBLEMS?

1992 Chevrolet Silverado

adamharvell

March, 4, 2011 AT 9:35 PM

I have a 92' chevy silverado 1500 that does'nt start sometimes. It will make a "click" noise when I turn the key, and another "click" when I release. It only happens sometimes, and if I keep on turning and releaseing the key it will eventually start. Do I need a starter?

saturntech9

March, 4, 2011 AT 9:47 PM

If it's the starter clicking then there's a good chance it could be the starter.I would have the battery tested and make sure the battery cable's are clean and tight. Also do you have a multimeter or test light to do some testing when it act's up so we can see if it's the starter?

adamharvell

March, 4, 2011 AT 11:12 PM

The battery is new and fully charged, the cable connections are clean and tight. I do have a multimeter, but I'm not 100% on how to use it. At first the truck was starting more than not starting. Now the problem has gotten worse. It may start first try sometimes but when it fails, it makes a kinda loud click noise (sounds like its coming from the starter) and a lesser click noise when I release the key from the crank position.

saturntech9

March, 5, 2011 AT 12:29 AM

Since your not sure how to use the multimeter do you have a test light?Those are really easy to use. Let me know it sound's like a bad starter though I just want to be sure. Also make sure the positive battery cable to the starter is clean and tight. Make sure you check that with the negative cable unhooked from the battery. If you have a test hook the aligator clip to a ground when it doesn't start and see if you have power to the purple wire at the starter with the key in the start position. If you do bad starter. If we use the multimeter the black lead goes to the common connection on the meter and the red lead goes to the V connection on the meter. Then set the meter to 20 DC volts then ground the black lead and use the red lead to test for battery voltage at the starter purple wire with the key in the start position if you have battery voltage and the starter is inop bad starter. Let me know what you find.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006