INTERMITTENT STALL

• aaronmcd
  • 1992 Chevrolet Corsica

3.1L motor
Automatic transmission

Was driving alright, except when shifted into a gear from park, the engine would slow down a bit.
Power steering pump failed (giant fluid leak, covered half the engine), so I replace the pump and used electric part degreaser to clean the alternator. The drive belt was also replaced.

Now, when started, some times it will just stall after starting. Ususally the 3rd or 4th start attempt it will start (but bogs for a second). It does this in park and neutral. After starting and not stalling, it drives fine. Alternator and battery both check out fine. I would assume I loosed a wire or something during the pump replacement, but only the alternator wires and ignition wires run over by it.
The person who actually drives it said last night while driving it all the dash light came on and the headlights flickered. Also, she said it stalled when put into drive after idiling alright.

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 9:16 PM

• mhpautos

Re check that all the electrical terminals for alt ignition and battery are clean and tight, you may have got oil onto the alternator brushes and this is causing a low charge state, get the alt output voltage checked under load, that is with blower on high, wipers on and hi beam on, and re check all ignition wire p[lugs for moisture, start here.

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 10:32 PM
  • aaronmcd

Battery was fully charged, car runs without battery
I throughly degreased the alternator with a crc cleaner
Even if it were the alternator, wouldn't it run off of the battery for a while?

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM
  • KHLow2008

You should not run the engine with battery disconnected, even for a short period of time. If the alternator is faulty and overcharges, you would have a currenty spike which would fry the PCM (engine computer).

If the battery was disconnected, the PCM would need to relearn and if the throttle body is dirty, extremely low idling is expected. I would suggest cleaning the throttle body if the iding is erratic.

You might not have a complete failuere of the alternator and as mhpautos mentioned, the carbon brushes could be contaminated causing intermittent charging fault. It would take some tinme to run down the battery.

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 12:24 PM
  • aaronmcd

I'll clean the throttle body (and MAF while the air intake is off). I have the proper cleaners.

Regarding the alternator, what test do you want me to do? And how? I have access to a multimeter.

The engine idles "alright" in park, but worse in drive.

Thanks for the help guys

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 6:13 PM
  • KHLow2008

Start engine and check the voltage between the battery posts. It hould be 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 12:09 PM