I DRIVE A 1991 MARK 1 CITIGOLF 1

• petercason
  • 1991 Volkswagen Golf

Hi I drive a 1991 mark 1 citigolf 1.8 when I turn the key the engine turns over but then I hear a gutteral scraping sound which stops as the ignition is disengaged. The problem originally started as my starter motor seemed to lag and not take and I was having to hold the ignition key on for quite a while before the engine finally took. I would always hear the same scraping noise when I had the key in ignition position for any extended period. I had the starter motor serviced and the guys told me it was the solonoid that was responsible for the lag. The checked the strater itself but told me everything was fine. Bushes contacts etc. The metal on metal scraping however now happens everytime immediately after the engine takes for about a second or 2. Is it the starter hitting the flywheel? HELP!

Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 AT 10:35 AM

• exovcds

Standard or automatic?

The automatic starter has 2 versions that will cause problems when the wrong one is used.

Thomas

Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 AT 10:58 PM