Toyota Corolla 1.3L IDLE PROBLEM

820327
  • 1991 TOYOTA COROLLA
I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla 1.3L. The car run fines but it will not idle when cold. Once I leave the accelerator, it cuts off immediately. But when the car is warm, it idles but its like a rough high and low idle at times. I have tried carb cleaner spray and also a fuel liner cleaner you pour into your fuel tank but it didnt help at all.
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 2:08 PM

KHLOW2008
Should be a problem with the IAC. Check to see if it is stuck in the closed position. When starting from cold, the engine idling speed should increase.
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 1:07 PM
820327
Hi sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a manual choke. I cant find the IAC valve.
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 12:35 PM
KHLOW2008
Do you mean vehicle is equipped with carburettor? If yes and you have a manual choke, then you need to use it when engine is cold. A cold engine would need to run at a higher idling speed and with a richer mixture.
-1
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 1:02 PM
820327
Yes I have a carburettor model vehicle. Thats the thing I cant understand. I never had to use the choke before. And with this problem that im having, even if the manual choke is pulled full, it still wont idle when cold.
+1
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 2:10 PM
KHLOW2008
When engine gets older and the weather gets colder, there would be a difference. When choke is pulled, does the engine idling increases? Have you checkd if the choke is opening correctly?
When was the last time a tune-up was performed?
-2
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 2:43 PM
820327
No, the engine doesnt increase in idle when the choke is pulled. But it is opening and closing. I see it when the air filter is out. I did a tune up when this problem started
-1
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 2:54 PM
KHLOW2008
When choke cable is pulled, the idling speed should increase as the throttle plat would be opened. Check if the adjustment for the choke is correct.
-1
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 4:19 PM