Serpentine & P/S & W/P Belts

JARED575
  • 1991 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Looking at my engine I have two belts, the one large belt connecting the Waterpump and Power Steering pumps and the smaller belt connecting from the waterpump to the alternator. Both belts squeal starting from the large belt that then stops transfering over smaller serpentine belt. The belts are new and I think they've just stretched a bit(under 9 months old) I've checked with a straight ruler and everything is aligned nicely. I've figured out how to tighten the alternators belt but the large waterpump/power steering belt I can't figure out. From examining the setup it looks as if the Powersteering pump needs to be adjusted to make the belt tight. I found one bolt that was loose that appears to be where it's tightened to hold it in the new position but I can't make the pump move in any direction. Is their another bolt that needs to be loosened? Their is one bolt almost opposite the adjusting bolt but it's hidden behind the pulley and I can't see how it would be used to tighten the pump as the belt and pulley would need to be removed to gain access there isn't even holes through the pulley to access it. A picture would be great. The car is a 1991 pontiac grand am LE 2.5L
Monday, January 24th, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

I'll send a belt diagram along one shows the routing, which only shows one beltand the other shows the belt wear indicators on teh tensioner. That is what adjusts the belts.
Monday, January 24th, 2011 AT 11:48 PM
Oops hit the wrongbutton here they are
Monday, January 24th, 2011 AT 11:50 PM
JARED575
Thanks, However, not sure why this is he official picture. My car is like it says 1991 pontiac grand am 2.5l LE however it uses 3 seperate belts and has no tensioner pulley. One large belt wraps around the crankshaft and travels up to the power steering and then over to the water pump. A second belt attaches also to the crankshaft and travels over to the A/C. A third belt attaches also to the waterpump and travels up to the alternator. None of the 3 belts have tensioner pulley. All the belts are adjusted by moving the A.C pump, the power steering pump and the alternator pumps to make their respective belts tighter/looser. However I am unable to make any of the respective devices move. I must be not seeing a bolt or something.
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 2:47 AM
Are you sure this isn't a 1981 grand am? Everything that we have listed is serpentine drive. Of course the manual could be screwed up as well. If I saw it I could fix it as i'd know where to look.I've looked aback as far as 1985 and can't find 3 belts. Sorry
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 3:46 PM
JARED575
Absolutly positive it's a 1991. Manual must be messed becasue even Lordco gave me the correct belts for the car.
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 10:52 PM
I can't find anything to send toyou we used to have stuff that went to1981 but since the site has a new format we no longer have that. Sorry.
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 11:02 PM