1991 Holden Commodore Engine switches off while driving

AMLS1986
  • 1991 HOLDEN COMMODORE
I have a VP Holden Commodore, I have had some issues this past year with it switching off while driving it, I have had it tested and had the crank sensor and oxygen sensor replaced. It has been running perfect for the last 3 months until today I lost power once again. The oil light and battery light came on and power cut off, I lost steering and brakes, I had to use my hand brake to stop the car. All fluid and oil levels are on normal levels, the power steering fluid was on min level which now has been filled up. What is causing the engine to switch off? The mechanic I have been taking too says it could be something in back of engine causing it to happen is this correct, it only happens while driving it, and its done several times but today was the first day I lost braking and steering.
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 7:33 PM

MHPAUTOS
V6 or V8?
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 11:47 PM
AMLS1986
V6
Friday, November 22nd, 2013 AT 3:42 AM
MHPAUTOS
It mat be a fuel pump failing or the DFI module under the coil, a mechanic will have to test these, but unfortunately they will have to be tested when the car has stopped, if it is running you will not get any indication that something is faulty.
Saturday, November 23rd, 2013 AT 3:44 PM
AMLS1986
Its not the fuel pump, that was ruled out ages ago. The car also has gas, the engine switches off while driving, all my sensors and everything has been replaced.

When it happens oil and battery light come on, after engine has switched off. The fluids and oil is at normal levels and battery was replaced 2 months ago.

Engine switches off while driving forward, last timem causing steering and brake to go stiff, I also lost the acceleration which you do when car is turned off but in this case the engine turned itself off.

The car takes a few goes to restart engine after this episode
Saturday, November 23rd, 2013 AT 10:38 PM
MHPAUTOS
If it is only stalling on the gas side of things you will have to get the gas system serviced, probably a problem with the converter, check to see if it is starting to freeze up when it stalls, if so check to a coolant loss as well.
Sunday, November 24th, 2013 AT 12:19 PM
AMLS1986
The engine and power goes off completely on gas and fuel, there is nothing wrong with either type of fuel or gas it's been serviced on a regular basis, I had a new thermometer put in cos car had trouble starting was too cold.

It has been working perfect for months. Until now while driving engine turns engine switches off, loses all power.

The fuel pumps etc was replaced 3 years ago, in past year it's had new thermometer, and all sensors replaced
Sunday, November 24th, 2013 AT 12:58 PM
MHPAUTOS
You will have to get the ignition system fault tested if the problem is consistent with both fuel's the issue will be in the ignition electrics, you may have to do a continuity test of of all ignition wiring back to the ECU.
Sunday, November 24th, 2013 AT 7:41 PM