DOESN'T ALWAYS START ON FIRST TRY

1991 Ford Tempo

indyrjc11

September, 25, 2012 AT 3:18 PM

We have a low mileage (for the year) 1991 Ford Tempo with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. Over the last month or so the car sometimes doesn't seem to want to start on the first try. The engine cranks fine but sometimes just keeps cranking without starting. However, if you give it a couple of short cranks it seems like it will start just fine on the third attempt. After that everything is fine and the car runs great. It has never failed to start it's just that it often takes longer to start for some reason. OTOH, there are also occasions where the car starts immediately just like it always did. And if the car has just been shut off it will start immediately just like it used to do. There are no "Engine Code" lights on and the engine has brand new spark plugs and also a new air filter.

I've wondered if there is a pressure sensor (oil or fuel?) In the system somehow that isn't allowing the ignition to fire immediately but after a couple of attempts the pressure comes up (or the sensor now thinks it has) allowing the engine to fire.

Any ideas on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

September, 25, 2012 AT 3:34 PM

I would suggest checking the fuel pressure. Seems the pressure is dropping after engine has been stopped for some time.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test