91 RANGER WON'T START

• Spike
  • 1991 Ford Ranger
  • manual

I have a 91 Ford Ranger Truck. Yesterday I went out to start it and it wouldn't start. Nothing. Did not turn over, no sound at all. Dead. I assumed the battery was dead but it tested fine and all the lights worked fine. I don't know much about engines. Any ideas what could cause this? I purchased the truck a few months ago and when I started it for the first time the previous owner informed me that in order for the truck to start you must have the clutch pushed in. I am now wondering if that might be my problem. Maybe whatever you are pressing when you push the clutch down has broken. Sound feasible? If so what am I looking for and where would it be. I don't notice anything around the clutch pedal but really don't know what I am looking for. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Spike

Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 11:57 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

It could be. You will need to check if the clutch switch is allowing power both in and out when it is depressed. IF it is, have a helper turn the key to the start position with the clutch depressed while you check for 12volts to the smaller wire on the starter. If you have 12+ volts, chances are the starter is bad. If there isn't any power, then chances are you have a bad starter relay or a bad ignition switch.

Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 6:16 PM