Fuel pump won't stop running but truck won't start until gas sprayed into intake, then runs lean.

CONNIEMAE
  • 1991 FORD F-150
Replaced engine, replaced #5 injector, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, coil, ignition modulator & distributor. At first ran well then rough that seem to clear up upon turning overdrive off. Now the light on the overdrive button is no longer lit & it will not deactivate. Truck will not pull in drive, only in 1 or 2, reverse is fine. Black smoke rolls out the exhaust & the fumes will choke you to death. It has dual gas tanks with 1 pump. I am at a total loss.
Saturday, December 3rd, 2011 AT 12:41 AM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
Sounds like you may have a bad head gasket. Oil may be leaking into the combustion chamber and keeping the cylinders from firing properly.
Here is a diagnostic walk through that will help you to understand the issues and symptoms of a bad head gasket and what it takes to fix it. It could also be oil getting past the piston rings and that is covered as well.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/excessive-smoke-coming-from-the-exhaust-pipe

Let me know if you have any questions.

Saturday, December 3rd, 2011 AT 1:04 AM

Sponsored links