1991 Ford Explorer wont turn over

JOHN MACLEAN
  • 1991 FORD EXPLORER
The problem(same as yesterday) is still nothing, just a click when I turn the key, interior lights, radio works, windows up and down, yes lights dim when key is turned to start.
I have tried a boost, changed batteries, solenoid, starter, fuse able link, and I bought it in Oct, and was told of wiring problem, and haven't had problem until 2 days ago.
I am wondering if it's the ignition actuator switch, I am at wits end.
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 12:08 PM

Use a digital multimeter across battery posts, everything off, take reading. The generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts.

Next I'd have to check voltage at the starter motor circuits. Any testing at the starter motor, make sure tranny is in park or neutral and a functional parking brake is set.

If you have already been talking to somebody else, stay on the same post. The person you were talking to will be notified your asking another question. If you make a new post, they won't know except by accident.

You sound like your getting frustrated, calm down, back off a little and think about it. If there is a problem on wiring circuit somewhere, replacing parts won't fix it.
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 1:11 PM
I found this wiring diagram. You see the relay, the load side, the load side of relay is the arm with the arrowhead on it. When the relay is activated that arm moves to the other terminal carries voltage to starter motor.

The relay part I looked at, the two large terminals are main power terminals. The smaller terminal should be relay control. If you use two large shank screwdrivers, the screwdrivers will carry a lot of amps. Touch one screwdriver to each large terminal, let the screwdriver shanks touch each other, the starter motor should crank. If it cranks at least you know that part of the system is ok and the engine isn't seized. If the key is on when you try this, it may start. Just make sure the tranny is out of gear and parking brake is set before testing. There are safety issues with trying this. Safety is your responsibility. I can't see what your doing from here.
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 1:40 PM
JOHN MACLEAN
Thanks for the advice, and about posting.I am getting a reply from another, and will stay with then, Thanks again
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 2:48 PM
Hope you get it going your way.
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 3:18 PM