1991 Dodge Truck will not start

JK68
  • 1991 DODGE TRUCK
I have a 1991 d150 5.2, it would not start so I checked the positive side of the coil and there was no power so I ran a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil and it ran great drove home that way, I need to know what feeds that positive side of that coil.
Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 AT 12:14 PM

That voltage comes from the asd relay. Must be a problem with wiring circuit from asd relay to positive side of coil. Can't be the relay in my opinion, that relay supplies voltage to several system, those system wouldn't work either, if the relay was faulty.
-2
Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 AT 1:12 PM
JK68
JDL on the dodge d150 no spark do you think it could be in the ignition switch or computer and if not do you think the wire harness has to be changed, thanks
-1
Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 AT 4:48 PM
JK68
JDL I forgot to mention the d150 with the coil problem, this problem comes and goes, it will run fine for a week and sometimes only a day and then I put the wire from the battery to the coil when it decides it is the day it does not want to run but I can unhook the wire and it runs, so what would no power to the coil go from sometimes power to no power
Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 AT 7:27 PM
I think it is a bad wire or connection. Just my opinion. I can't see anything from here. There could be several what ifs?

Yeah, intermittent issues can be a pain to track. When the problem occurs, do you have B+ at the injectors, engine cranking, without the jumper to the coil?
+2
Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 AT 9:36 AM
JK68
It does not stay like this long, when I got home to check everything I took the wire off the battery and there was power to the coil again, I know the coil wire goes to the ignition switch but I never seen one go in and out, and there is a relay under the hood, I think it is called asd relay, do you have a wire diagram I can look at, thanks
Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 AT 10:07 AM
The coil gets B+ from the asd relay, as do several other systems. When you add the jumper wire you could be back feeding voltage to the other systems.

Any applicable trouble codes?
+2
Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 AT 11:27 AM