1990 Toyota Corrola

HARY_LEE
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA
My car won't turn over sometimes. New starter, new timing belt and good battery. In cold weather it turns over first thing, if it doesn't start within ten seconds I stop then try again a few seconds later but it won't turn over again. Then I have to wait ten to twenty minutes before it will turn over again. I think it only happens in the cold but I haven't driven the car in the summertime yet.
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 2:42 PM

KHLOW2008
Is there any clicking noise when starter does not crank?

Have you checked the starter relay (if equipped with theft deterrent), PNP switch and ignition switch?
+1
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 3:31 PM
HARY_LEE
There's kind of a slow repetetive click (2 'clicks'/second) if I turn the key from off to start without a pause, it almost sounds lik the horn honks super quietly, just notice the noise this morning. It almost seems to come from beside my left knee. Other than the the only noise is a quiet buzzing from the engine somewhere. I don't think it is equipped with a theft deterrent, how would I tell?
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 2:31 PM
KHLOW2008
If equipped with theft deterrent, the alarm would go off when doors or not opened with key or keyless control.

The ckicking noise indicates the relay is working but it could be the coil circuit is good but powered circuit has failed. Try swapping the starter relay.
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 6:53 PM
HARY_LEE
Where is that located? How do I change it?
+1
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 3:34 AM
KHLOW2008
Starter relay is on fuse/Relay block # 1. Pull it out and see if there are any relays nearby which are similar, exchange with that. If there is any theft deterrent relay, it would be there too.

Sorry I could not find any diagrams for the EXACT location of the relays. When turning the igntion key to ON, note whici relay is clicking. Pull it out to confirm.
+1
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 10:40 PM
KHLOW2008
Sorry I missed out the location diagram.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 10:41 PM
HARY_LEE
That should help a lot thanks! In other news the car starded to die when it gets warm now, just starrted today. It loses power then quits running, starts again when it cools off for a while? I don't know if the problems are related, maybe I should look for a new ride LOL!
Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 12:17 AM
KHLOW2008
A new ridea is the short way out. If the engine is stalling frequently, it could be due to some other fault.

Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) indicating?
Was anything done prior to this occurring?
Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 12:39 PM
HARY_LEE
The oil light came on earlier that day, I added oil but the light stayed on. Later I drove it again and the light was out. I did nothing in the way of repairs. My wife drove it and she told me it lost power (stopped driving) so she parked it and shut it off. I went to pisck it up a couple hours later and it made it about 10 blocks then the battery and ! Lights came on and it lost power, just stopped pushing like it was running outta gas kinda, made it 1 more block then it stalled. A few hours later I got a ride back to it and it made it 3 blocks before doing the same thing, this time it waas dark outside and I noticed the lights got very dim as it was losing power, now it wont turn over again, but the battery seems to still have lots of power, I eveen tried boosting it but it wouldnt turn over, just a quiet buzzing noise. No check engine light came on.
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 4:23 AM
KHLOW2008
The lights getting dim could be due to a faulty charging system have the alternator checked.
Manually crank the engine to check if it is seized. If the oil light came on, it could mean lubrication was inefficient due to low pressure and that can result in the engine seizing and not being able to crank.

Disconnect the starter solenoid wire and use a remote wire to apply battry voltage and if starter cranks, you would have to check the wiring circuit. If it does not crank, you could have a faulty starter.

Check the battery cables for proper installaytion, especially the ground circuit cponnections.
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 2:21 PM