Brake pressure

FLAMES
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA
Hi I have a 1990 toyota corolla and since I bought the car i've had to pump the brakes for pressure I tried bleeding them but no luck and i've asked other car people some said the brake booster some said brake lines me i'm thinking master cylinder but with all the options I cant be sure I would most be most grateful if you can help me with this ongoing problem
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011 AT 3:04 AM

ROMYSPEC
The first thing you need to do is inspect all wheel cylinders for leak. If the wheel cylinders do not show any signs of leakage, then you can remove the master cylinder. Dis-assemble master cylinder and inspect rubber seals, pistons and cylinder bore for wear. If wear is noticed on the pistons, it is safe to say that your cylinder bore is also worn. If so I would strongly recomend you install a new master cylinder.
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011 AT 5:59 AM
AUTOZONEBRAKESEXPERT
If it seems to take a long time to stop the car when applying the brakes, where you have to push the pedal down hard to come to a complete stop:
* This condition is often due to brake fade, which occurs when the linings become too hot. It may be caused by linings that are too thin or brakes that are overworked.
* This condition may also be caused by air in the hydraulic system, a fluid leak in master cylinder, a hose or line leak in system, and/or if the brakes misadjusted
* This may also be an indication that the rear (or front) brakes that are not operating as designed. This requires the front brakes to work harder resulting in overheating and longer stopping distances.
Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 1:26 PM
Dear flames, Everything discussed so far could be you! Just a little additional from me (A Jeep CJ Kinda Guy). Ruling out fluid loss and external leaks. When you "Pump up the brakes" and just Hold them at an even pressure for let's say.45 seconds. Do they Creep down towards the floor (without you forcing them) May be bad cylinder as described by romyspec. If that were the case, I would Skip the tear-down inspection (you probably would not know what to look for anyway) and go for the new one. Too many times I have seen the "Oh Yeah" Fellers not have a clue as to how to bleed the brakes properly. Seen 'em open the bleeder ports and go to town pumping the pedal and then closing the port. Done.I mean Dumb! If you are unsure that your bleeding procedure was done right let one of us know. We will try to get you the proper steps (I sorta suspect you have air in the system) Imma Jeep CJ guy.I can explain the procedure as with Jeeps--Older Fords [basics w/ 2 people, without mega detail, our Communications]---(pumping, holding, open, floor, close, pumping, holding, open, floor, close). If there is something EXTRA or Special to be done, with the TOY, you other fellers jump in. Let US know what you need, we are here to help--The Medic
Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 2:24 PM