Rear brake cyclinders: bleeder valve broken/replace only one cyclinder

EQL
  • 1990 HONDA CIVIC
Thank you in advance for answering my question. I brought my car into
have the brakes bleed, but the bleeder valve on 1 rear cyclinder broke and the mechanic said it could not be fixed. He said I had to get a "new" reconditioned rear cyclinder.
I would like to know if the bleeder valve could have been fixed and if it is OK to just get one rear cyclinder. I thought you should get both replaced.
Sunday, September 4th, 2011 AT 3:47 AM

RIVERMIKERAT
Yes, one can be replaced at a time. Whether the wheel cylinder was salvageable or not is a judgment call. If the mechanic thinks (s)he can get the older bleeder out without doing further damage, an older one will. Some of the newer ones have been taught to replace parts instead of trying to fix them. What you as the customer save in parts will normally be made up in labor cost though.
Sunday, September 4th, 2011 AT 4:10 AM
KHLOW2008
Replacing one cylinder is ok but generally I would at least have the other cylinder seals replaced if serviceable. This is because when one cylinder fails, the other would not be far off.
Sunday, September 4th, 2011 AT 4:16 AM
EQL
KHLOw2008 The cyclinder did not fail. It was replaced simply because the bleeder valve broke off. Keeping this in mind, what do you think. Thank you for your time.
Sunday, September 4th, 2011 AT 4:31 AM
KHLOW2008
If the condition of the seals are still good, then it is ok to replace only one cylinder.

Repairing the bleeder bolt might not be be econimical as it involves a lot of work and you might have to send the unit to the machine shop to drill out the bit and bleeder bolts are not available, unless you have a used unit.
Sunday, September 4th, 2011 AT 4:41 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
I don't know many mechanics worth much that don't have a few dozen bleeder screws/valves sitting around in toolbox drawers. As stated, replacing only one wheel cylinder is not a problem as long as only one cylinder has a problem. You'd have ended up paying the same or more to have the old cylinder salvaged most likely. And the shop can work on more cars if they recommend repairs that are more parts intensive than those that are labor intensive.
Sunday, September 4th, 2011 AT 5:31 AM