1990 Geo Prizm differential fluid type

CARPETMAN1759
  • 1990 GEO PRIZM
90 1/2 geo prizm base model with 3 speed auto. Had to change axles do to bad CV joints and leaky seals. Wanted to refill differential, but when I pulled the plug all that came out was about a pint of gear oil. I know it should have 1.5 quarts of fluid in it. The question is everyone I talk to tells me it should be ATF fluid in the rear. It was black smelly gear oil. I am the second owner of this car so I talked to the original owner who bought it new and he told me he never had any work done to the differential. Could it have come from the factory that way and should I put gear oil back in it? What weight should I use?
Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 AT 7:32 PM

Multipurpose gear oil 75w-90w 2.7 qts/2.6L
-1
Wednesday, December 11th, 2013 AT 7:21 AM
CARPETMAN1759
2.4 - 2.7 quarts will go in the automatic 3 speed with a filter change but my geo prizm has a separate area for differential fluid. The two areas don't exchange fluid between each other. The manual trans does and also the 4 speed auto does.
Wednesday, December 11th, 2013 AT 3:28 PM
Guess you don't believe what I've taken from the manual that means the diff takes 2.7 qt from empty. I really don't know what your problem is you asked what type and I looked it up and that is the answer.
Wednesday, December 11th, 2013 AT 3:35 PM
CARPETMAN1759
SORRY! But your manual is wrong. I could only get 1.5 quarts in it before it came out the fill hole. Unless there is a different fill hole. The place I am filling from is half way up the diff. Housing in the back between the diff. And the fire wall. Seeing when I drained it only a pint came out. I do want to get the most amount in that it calls for. I just don't know how I can get 2.7 quarts in it.
Wednesday, December 11th, 2013 AT 4:55 PM
I'm just going by what our manual says which I cannot copy if it's full it 's full. Check it after you drive it as it may go down
Thursday, December 12th, 2013 AT 6:11 AM
CARPETMAN1759
THANK YOU for the info. I will try that and see what happens. I didn't mean to doubt you or insult you in any way. Just everyone has told me it is ATF but when I pulled the plug I got gear oil. Seeing they don't make the prizm model anymore I have to go by what people have done in the past. Thank you again for your time on this matter!
Thursday, December 12th, 2013 AT 10:32 AM