Why does my engine cut out after running OK for 3 - 5 seconds?

PROSPECTOR48
  • 1990 FORD ESCORT
The problem seems to be worse when the engine is cold, but it happens when the engine is warm. With the car stationary, when you bring the engine RPM to between 1500 and 3500 RPM and hold it steady, after 3 seconds the engine RPM drops to approximately 1000. As soon as it reaches 1000 RPM, it then goes back up to the level you had it at before, stays there for 3 seconds and then starts the cycle again by dropping back to 1000 RPM & then returning to the original RPM again. It is like the engine is hunting. It doesn't do this all the time, especially if I accelerate the engine up to 3500 RPM or above and hold it there. If I drop the RPM down to between 1500 & 3500 it will again begin hunting. However, sometimes when I drop the RPM back down between 1500 &n 3500, it doesn't hunt, (for over 7 minutes during one test) then later, it will again go to hunting when it is between 1500 & 3500 RPM. All this intermittently happened without turning the engine off.

What do you think could cause this & how would I fix it?
Saturday, September 17th, 2011 AT 7:35 PM

Check for vacuum leaks, check IAC, and check TPS.
Saturday, September 17th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM