Dodge Ram Van 250, Will not start

LAVAHALO
  • 1990 DODGE RAM
I have a Dodge Ram 250 with a 3.9 liter engine. It sounds like it wants to crank but will not start. Have replaced coil, brain, distrubor, alternator, battery. Told to change crcnk sensor, but can not find one. Please help?
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:02 PM

LAVAHALO
*crank sensor
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:05 PM
WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
+1
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
LAVAHALO
There was no spark at the end of the plug wire. There was also nopower supply to the plus side of the coil? Next?
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:24 PM
WRENCHTECH
The rest of the tests.
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:26 PM
LAVAHALO
Did not do them as I thought if the first one failed, there would be an answer, plus I am not sure he can. Was told to replace the crank sensor, but could not find one. Is there one?
+1
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:36 PM
WRENCHTECH
Yes, you do need to complete the rest of the testing for me to give you any kind of conclusion as to what might be the problem. Many functions share common components.
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:40 PM
LAVAHALO
Is there a crank sensor on this engine? If so where?
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:43 PM
WRENCHTECH
No, it doesn't
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:46 PM
LAVAHALO
It does not have injectors, it has spark plugs.
Friday, August 19th, 2011 AT 8:47 PM