Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.

SILVERADO-GAR
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • 1 MILES

Having problem with brakes. Replaced brake booster, brake lines, pads, master cylinder. Still have no brake pedal. How do I fix the problem. This is for a 1990 Cheverolet K1500 5.7 Silverado.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 2:26 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH

Follow this procedure to bleed brakes;

To do this, get a large soda bottle and some clear hose that fits the bleed nipple snugly from your local hardware store.
Fit one end over the bleed screw and run the line higher than the bleed screw then into the bottle. Put a little axle grease on the threads and once you get some of the air out, you can just keep flushing fluid without stopping to hold and release and tighten bleed screw. Since you have so many issues, I would suggest flushing it until it comes out clean.
Starting at the right rear caliper, (This is the farthest from the master cylinder and needs to be done first.)Pump and hold but you can also just pump if the level in the master cylinder is dropping. It takes a while to get fluid going from such a far place especially with a new caliper. To create the pressure to get the fluid going, it has to fill a large cavity the the master cylinder is not designed for. The master cylinder only moves a little bit of fluid when you use your brakes. So be patient, it will come.
If the pedal gets hard to pump, there is contamination somewhere and is often in the bleed screw. Remove it and clean it out.
Now move on to the drivers' side rear brake. Then the passenger side front brake. Then lastly the drivers front brake.
This system of working farthest away from the master cylinder to the closest helps remove the most contamination and helps more fluid to move along.
ALSO, never let the master cylinder get below the low mark. That will pump air into the brakes. If you think bleeding the farthest caliper is hard, a master cylinder is a killer to bleed.

+1
Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 2:48 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey SILVERADO-GAR

Here is a guide that will help you fix the problem

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 6:06 PM
GOLDENCLAYS
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I was driving and mashed on the brake pedal for a normal stop and the pedal went to the floor and the parking brake light in the dash came on. I changed the master cyclinder and all the brake fluid completely bled the system and brakes worked great for a week or so then it done same thing again it has good brakes but has no pedal

+3
Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 6:07 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT

Have tried rebleeding?

Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 6:08 PM (Merged)
GOLDENCLAYS

That is my next step

DOCFIXIT

Let us know what happened

LIZZARD41
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I checked my breaks & all looked good, so I put back together. Now I have no break pressure once the ignition is turned on. I have changed the master seal, replaced the calibers, bleed the breakd & checked for leaks. I scanned the ABS system, but no codes. Can you help me? 1997 Chevy Silverado Pick-up. Thanks

+3

You replaced the"master seal"? Do you mean the master cylinder? Have the brakes been bled properly? Have you checked everything for leaks?

Let me know.

LIZZARD41

Yes, your right, the master cylender has been replaced. Bled properly, calipers have been changed.
Cleaned everything then checked for leaks, no leaks.

-1

When you installed the new master cylender, was the pushrod adjustable? Also, does the pedal only go to the floor when the engine is running?

+2
LIZZARD41

No, not adjustable.

Yes, to the floor when engine is running only.

-1

I have one more question. Have you checked the rubber brake hoses? When you hit the brakes with the engine running, check to see if one is expanding. If that isn't it, I am going to say either you got a bad master cylender (that is allowing fluid to bypass the plunger) or it has to be a hose or leak at some point.

Check the hoses and let me know what you find. I have seen them blow up like a baloon when too much pressure is placed on them.

LIZZARD41

Thanks! I will try it tonight & let you know tomorrow.

I look forward to hearing from you.

SPCQUIGGA

I have the same issue, I just bought a new master cylinder and bleed the brakes. Still same issue. You get pressure when the car is off but as soon as you turn the key on the pedal goes to the floor. And you get a loud hiss from the power booster. Could it be the vacum check valve or the actual booster?

-1
MORGAN8387
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I have a 99 chevy silverado 4x4. Yesterday I went to apply the brakes and the pedal would not push and I had no brakes. Any idea what could be wrong?

FIXITMR

Did you push real hard? It sounds like you have lost power assistance from the brake booster. It operates off engine vacuum. A hose carries the vacuum from engine intake to booster assembly. It's what the master cylinder is bolted to.

+1
DDAUGHERTY
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

I have a 1989 Chev Silverado Dually and I have owned it for about 1.5 months with generally no brake problems. The brakes were soft when I first got it though. Recently, I lose all pressure. I have checked the power steering fluid and the brake fluid as they both seem attached in an older version of a brake system. The power steering fluid was way low at the time. Once I did that, I bled the lines and all the air is out and have done this a couple of times. Now, When I driver the truck it takes about 10-15 minutes before I get any pressure to the brakes. There are no leaks that I can see and all the fluids are fine.

Any ideas why I would lose this pressure intermittently?

BILLYMAC

Hi
sounds like the seal in the master cyl is failing.
This prob will cause intermittant brake failure

+1
WES10
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brake pressure when truck is off, but once it is started the pedal goes straight to the floor. What could be the problem? We had originally thought it was the mast cylinder, and bled and replaced it. We also bled the brakes after word. Then we realized there was a busted brake line and we replaced that and then re-bled the brakes and kept fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. There is brake pressure when the truck is off, but once the truck is started I lose all brake pressure and the pedal goes straight to the floor.

+1
Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 6:10 PM (Merged)