Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.

SILVERADO-GAR
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • 1 MILES

Having problem with brakes. Replaced brake booster, brake lines, pads, master cylinder. Still have no brake pedal. How do I fix the problem. This is for a 1990 Cheverolet K1500 5.7 Silverado.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 2:26 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH

Follow this procedure to bleed brakes;

To do this, get a large soda bottle and some clear hose that fits the bleed nipple snugly from your local hardware store.
Fit one end over the bleed screw and run the line higher than the bleed screw then into the bottle. Put a little axle grease on the threads and once you get some of the air out, you can just keep flushing fluid without stopping to hold and release and tighten bleed screw. Since you have so many issues, I would suggest flushing it until it comes out clean.
Starting at the right rear caliper, (This is the farthest from the master cylinder and needs to be done first.)Pump and hold but you can also just pump if the level in the master cylinder is dropping. It takes a while to get fluid going from such a far place especially with a new caliper. To create the pressure to get the fluid going, it has to fill a large cavity the the master cylinder is not designed for. The master cylinder only moves a little bit of fluid when you use your brakes. So be patient, it will come.
If the pedal gets hard to pump, there is contamination somewhere and is often in the bleed screw. Remove it and clean it out.
Now move on to the drivers' side rear brake. Then the passenger side front brake. Then lastly the drivers front brake.
This system of working farthest away from the master cylinder to the closest helps remove the most contamination and helps more fluid to move along.
ALSO, never let the master cylinder get below the low mark. That will pump air into the brakes. If you think bleeding the farthest caliper is hard, a master cylinder is a killer to bleed.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 2:48 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey SILVERADO-GAR

Here is a guide that will help you fix the problem

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 6:06 PM
GOLDENCLAYS
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

I was driving and mashed on the brake pedal for a normal stop and the pedal went to the floor and the parking brake light in the dash came on. I changed the master cyclinder and all the brake fluid completely bled the system and brakes worked great for a week or so then it done same thing again it has good brakes but has no pedal

Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 6:07 PM
DOCFIXIT
  • MERGED

Have tried rebleeding?

Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 6:08 PM
GOLDENCLAYS
  • MERGED

That is my next step

DOCFIXIT
  • MERGED

Let us know what happened

LIZZARD41
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

Brakes problem
1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I checked my breaks & all looked good, so I put back together. Now I have no break pressure once the ignition is turned on. I have changed the master seal, replaced the calibers, bleed the breakd & checked for leaks. I scanned the ABS system, but no codes. Can you help me? 1997 Chevy Silverado Pick-up. Thanks

• MERGED

You replaced the"master seal"? Do you mean the master cylinder? Have the brakes been bled properly? Have you checked everything for leaks?

Let me know.

LIZZARD41
  • MERGED

Yes, your right, the master cylender has been replaced. Bled properly, calipers have been changed.
Cleaned everything then checked for leaks, no leaks.

• MERGED

When you installed the new master cylender, was the pushrod adjustable? Also, does the pedal only go to the floor when the engine is running?

+1