Idles fine but stalls when put in gear

WA
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Truck stalls when I put it in gear. I have changed the TPS sensor, injectors, fuel regulator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, runs/idles strong but when I put into gear it stalls out. Any ideas would be great thanks. 350 V8 5.0L engine.

Monday, May 23rd, 2011 AT 4:32 AM

WRENCHTECH

You may have a bad IAC (idle air control). Try eliminating any vacuum leaks and cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carburetor cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Here is the part you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9WAML5/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01N9WAML5&linkId=91f0b5473b67dc2adf2955aa21c6dfa9

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers

+4
Monday, May 23rd, 2011 AT 12:59 PM
WA

The IAC was it. I bought it took five minutes to install it and it fired right up and did not stall when I put it in gear. Thanks for the answers!

This site rocks!

+11
Tuesday, May 24th, 2011 AT 6:02 AM
WRENCHTECH

You should still clean the throttle body to prevent further problems.

Here is a guide to help you

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/throttle-actuator-service

+2
Tuesday, May 24th, 2011 AT 10:32 AM
WA

This was a friend of mines truck broken down at my house so I did not know this truck well. It had several things wrong with it and has over 200,000 miles on it. I was working with their low budget so I had limited funds available. It needed lots of repairs (fuel injectors, throttle position sensor, fuel pressure regulator, IAC, distributor cap/rotor/plugs/wires, starter, tune up items, etc) all because it was not well maintained. Along with the other things I replaced when I replaced the IAC valve I replaced the fuel pressure regulator at the same time and inside the spring was broken, rusted and corroded. When I replaced them together it helped until operating temperature kicked in but in the end I still had the stalling problem. What wound up really finally fixing it was the coolant temperature sensor. What I read at the library was when the truck first starts it runs on the main computer using those settings, but when it gets to operating temperature it goes off of it. It took me a while of checking everything I had repaired over and over and then I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and it ran good after that. I do not think that part was too expensive either. Like $15.00 to $20.00. Hope all that helps you!

+9
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 7:24 PM
SILVERADO88RED

Thankyou!

+2
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 10:13 PM
JUNERIVERA

Hello. I am new to this page and I need some help. My friend has a 1991 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck V8 c1500 5.7L. She is currently having the same stalling issues. It idles fine when parked but then stalls when put into drive or reverse. The idle drops quickly. Before this issue started happening, she had the truck sitting in her friend's drive way for over a year. About two weeks ago I replaced her battery since it was drained flat and I changed the engine oil. Everything was fine with the truck until it started stalling a week later. Went out to check the truck today and cleaned the throttle body with carburetor cleaner, removed all the nasty carbon from all passages and replaced the IAC valve. It is still stalling in drive. The only way I was able to keep the truck from stalling was by putting a hard plastic piece on a small threaded stud on the throttle body that makes contact with the throttle lever when closed. This is keeping the idle at high and somewhat decent while it is in drive. Now it is only stalling when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the looking position, plus it tends to hesitate when accelerated. Any help or ideas will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Sunday, May 1st, 2016 AT 7:47 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey JUNERIVERA,

This problem sounds like the EGR valve is hang open a little causing a vacuum leak. Can you remove it and check it for leaks?

Here is a guide and the part (below) to confirm the problem and get you back on the road.

https://youtu.be/DqUCbbKdWf4

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019ILKVA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0019ILKVA&linkId=216e7105e978e12cd9cbca15d597a0a9

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

+1
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 4:09 PM
CLMARTIN1
  • CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I have a 1993 Chevrolet pickup and I have changed the fuel filter twice and put new wires and plugs and it ran fine for a couple of months and then it started stalling when it was put into gear and it will start right back up. Could you tell me what else it could be? Thanks, Cathy

Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 4:10 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like it may be a vacuum leak, here is a guide that will help you find the problem:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-an-engine-vacuum-gauge

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

+1
Wednesday, December 21st, 2016 AT 8:59 PM
RAYFORD
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Have changed out ignitionswitchmodule, rotor, dist. Cap, and fuel filter

Sunday, August 20th, 2017 AT 6:30 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9

When it dies does it restart riht away or do you have to wait for it to start?ALso any codes?

-1
RAYFORD

Yes it does start and no codes but service engine soon light comes on

-1
SATURNTECH9

If the service engine soon light is coming on while its running then there should be codes. How did you check for codes?

RAYFORD

The service engine soon light goes off once truck starts and I bought a 30 dollar code reader but all it does is blink, pause, blinkblink

SATURNTECH9

That would be a code 12 it will repeat three times then flash the next code if there is one that is normal. Are there any other codes?Also its normal for the service engine soon light to turn off after starting it. You code have done the same code flashing with a paper clip and saved 30 bucks.

RAYFORD

Well it reads the same code for more than 3 times and can you tell me why my truck will not stay on and run normal

PERRYGRACE
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

1990 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 225000 miles

my truck engine cuts out when idling or in low revs coming up to an intersection.
It starts just fine but cuts out especially as the engine warms up versus when I first start it up.
Thxs
perry

Clean out the idle air control valve and EGR valve, test the TPS and MAP sensors-

-1
SATURNTECH9

From the little info I have no I cant so when you restart the engine after it dies how long will it run?

+1
RAYFORD

It will run for about 3 to4 minutes and it will die and right after it does thst I can start it again