Engine won't turnover. How do I diagnose problem?

NOMES
  • 1989 TOYOTA COROLLA

The batteries charged up fine. Lights and acc all work when on. In ignition all I hear is a hum. This has happened in the past and for no apparent reason or specific amount of time it'll start up fine. I'm not complaining that it eventually does start but id like to know why when I haven't done anything but wait and I really need to depend on it starting the first try every time! I'm engine illiterate and don't even know where or what to start checking. Help!

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 AT 3:11 PM

RACEFAN966

It sounds like it might be the starter. See the starter has a contact disc in it and it may have a bad spot when you land on that the start won't engage and turn the engine over. To be sure of this if you have a volt meter you can connect it to the small wire on the starter and then put the key in the start position if there is power then I would pull the start and have it tested.

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 AT 3:22 PM