CLUTCH PEDAL GOES TO THE FLOOR WITHOUT RESISTANCE

1989 Toyota Corolla

mellisa89corolla

October, 11, 2011 AT 11:20 AM

I really don't know much about clutch but I checked the clutch fluid, the container has 3/4 fluid in it. I used it yesterday and the car had no problems whatsoever. So I was surprised that the clutch was going to the floor without any resistance today. What could cause this and how can I fix it?

October, 11, 2011 AT 11:25 AM

The slave cylinder on the bell housing is a common failure. If it is hydraulic, I recommend replacing both the master and slave.

You need to make sure the clutch is not the issue as well. Something internal may have failed.

I suggest getting a shop to check it for you and give you a bid.

October, 11, 2011 AT 11:27 AM

The clutch master cylinder has failed if the fluid level is still good. If fluid level is low, there is a leakage somewhere and it could be a leaking hose, a failed master or slave cylinder.

Master and slave cylinders would have to be replaced if they are faulty. If fluid level is low, topping up an bleeding the system might allow you to drive the vehicle to the mechanics but if the fluids are leaking too fast, then too bad.

mellisa89corolla

October, 11, 2011 AT 11:28 AM

Okay thanks! Will do that

mellisa89corolla

October, 11, 2011 AT 11:30 AM

I found no leaks, i'll drive it to the shop, thanks for all your help! Much appreciated : )

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement